Saturday, October 6, 2012

Chilly Chili

 Hello, friends!  I was a bit MIA yesterday...the hubs and I spent some time soaking up the Maine sun (it did exist!) in the earlier part of the day, then drove through the afternoon and got home last night.  Needless to say, I was pretty pooped when we finished unpacking and all was said and done.  I'll do a Maine recap soon, as well as a review of the paces we stayed and ate, but for now.....let's talk about food.  What can I say, I'm sort of obsessed with it!
Today is pretty chilly in NY.....low 50's and some sun, mostly wind...but definitely a fall feel in the air. The hubs and I are having both sets of parents over for dinner, and we decided pizza would be easy.  But I woke up this morning and the weather...screamed for chili.  Crisp, blowing colorful leaves outside....just begging for some warm fall comfort food to pair with it.
So I Betty Crockered myself in the kitchen and a few hours later...voila!  Chilly Chili and homemade french bread.  Wanna hear more?  I know you do....

Chilly Chili (serves 8(ish))

1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 can Campbell's tomato soup (also called...I have no tomato paste)
1 15 oz can black beans
2 15 oz cans Kidney Beans
1 28 oz can baked beans (bear with me!)
1 pound ground turkey, browned
2 onions, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small red pepper, minced
1 tbsp. chili seasoning
1 tbsp. red pepper
1 tsp. black pepper

Brown ground turkey and add to the pot.  Dice your veggies and garlic, saute with ground meat until veggies are soft.  Add in all cans of beans and tomatoes.  Stir.  Bring to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer for 4-5 hours.  Add in 1-2 cups beer (optional).   Simmer for one additional hour.

Serve alongside crusty french bread for a simple, yummy meal.
 Along with the chili and french bread, I'll serve a salad (brought by the lovely Lois), chicken barley soup (recipe coming!), and for dessert, sugar cookies and coffee.  Looks like a good Saturday night to me!
 Hows your weekend coming along?  Anyone else "chil(lly)i?" today?

No comments:

Post a Comment