Thursday, May 31, 2012

Good Things Come in Small Packages

Awww, come on, do you really think I would be that obvious?
Nuh uh.  If we were gonna talk about makin' whoopie, I would have been much more ambiguous.
Like, calling it "door sanding".  Or something like that.
Wait, what?
Never mind.
I really want to talk about small packages.
But...in terms of food.
Have you walked away yet?  No?  Good.  Cause I've found some pretty good mini's this week...and turned one into a yummy treat!
First up....fruit.  I am secretly an 80 year old woman and eat oatmeal every morning for breakfast.  1/2 cup oats, half naner, cinnamon, and chopped almonds.   Serve alongside some greek yogurt and it's the perfect amount of carbs, protein and fat to keep me going till noon.  Minor problem?  What do you do with the other half of a banana?
My trick right now....I slice up the half banana, then pop the other half in the freezer.  I can nuke it the next day for breakfast #2 (melted banana is freakin' amazing) or I can save a few halves and make the famed banana soft serve.  Try it, you can thank me later!
However, I struck gold yesterday at the store:
How cute are these guys?  Super sweet, perfect size and clearance priced to boot! (11 minis for 53 cents, how can you beat that?)  So now I can slice up a naner for breakfast and be good to go, no mess, no freezer, and a great breakfast.  Woot!
Mini #2....fun-guys!
Or...'shrooms.  I got a cute container of baby shrooms that needed to be eaten ASAP (for a buck, hello!), so I googled a few recipes and came up with a spin off of my own....I give you:
Loaded Baby Shrooms! (Guilt free stuffed mushrooms)
You're gonna need:
1 8 oz package baby mushrooms (about 11-12)
1/4 cup reduced fat shredded cheddar
1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
Fresh Thyme (or dried)
Nature Seasoning (TSA seasoning)
2 strips Turkey Bacon

Pan fry the turkey bacon in a bit of cooking spray.  Let cool. De-stem the mushrooms, saving a few of the stem bits.  Chop them up, along with turkey bacon, into small bits.  Mix with Greek yogurt and thyme.  Rinse mushroom caps, dry tops with paper towel.  Stuff the inside with yogurt mixture. Top with shredded cheese and sprinkle with Nature's seasoning.  Load onto an ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes.
Serves one...a perfect summer side dish!


3 cheers for mini food!

No comments:

Post a Comment