Sunday, May 6, 2012

HIM training week 8: The Great Debate

After a "week off", it's back to the grindstone.  Back to work.  Back to laundry.  Back to running errands.  And back to training!  3 weeks till Buffalo Half.  10 weeks till Musselman.  Yowtch.
And of course, I have to go and hurt my foot.  No one says I like to play it safe, right?  With the residual sea urchin calamity still a factor, this week in training was interesting.  I implemented a bit of the run injury protocol and subbed in an extra bike and water run for my tempo run, but still managed to pull off the speedwork (6 x 400) and long run (10 miles).  So how was my week?
The Stats
Swim:  5050 yards (2 swims)
Bike:  91 miles (3 rides)
Run: 15 miles (2 runs)
You suck, sea urchin. But you're cute...kinda.
Extra cardio:  3 miles rowing, 1 hour kickboxing
Strength:  2 full body, 2 abs sessions
Week low: Without a doubt, the sea urchin foot.  Lame.  I suppose it's good I'm not technically injured (my legs and body feel awesome), but I'm still a bit worried about that foot.  I've been soaking it every night and it's feeling a bit better (I was able to run on Friday and today) but at about mile 8 during today's ten miler, I got some wicked shooting pains through the arch and it made the rest of the run miserable.  Hopefully this goes away soon, or else I'll need to re-evaluate my half goals.
Week high:  Without a doubt, bike hill and speed work.  I know I'm getting much stronger on the bike, which rocks.  I also feel much better during the longer rides and am much less tired during the 2-2.5 hour rides.  Next week starts brick workouts (running off the bike)...should be interesting!
I'm feeling good about my half iron training, but less so about the half marathon.  I think my 12 miler next weekend will tell me what I need to know in order to make a good Buffalo goal.  I just need to remember that this is my "off" year-I'm enjoying the training, but not killing myself.  It's all good.
How was your weekend?  The hubster and I had a pretty low key few days-sleeping in, getting some spring cleaning done, and a nice cook out last night.  The rest of today will be filled with some DVRed movies (Oh God! is on right now), some coupon clipping, and snuggles.  Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment