Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The Correct Ratio

As I was driving into work on this rainy Tuesday, I noted a few things...
1.  Rain sucks.  Where's the snow?
2.  People are even bigger idiot drivers when it's precipitating...no matter what kind.  I shudder for January.
3.  If I have to be stuck in 10 mile an hour traffic on the freeway, at least the radio is entertaining.

I vacillate in my morning radio choice-sometimes it's oldies, sometimes alternative, sometimes pop.  One of the morning shows, Elvis Durand, does a hilarious talk show every morning.  Its raunchy, wrong, and completely ridiculous, but it makes me laugh.
Anyways.  This morning, they were discussing onomatopoeia, or when words are spelled the way they sound (thwack and such).  And one of the hosts started talking about the word moist.  Which, of course, is not an onomatopoeia, but is a word that evokes a strong reaction to...well, apparently not just me.  See, I hate the word moist.  It sounds gross.  It sounds....squishy.  Yuck.  Well, apparently I'm not alone, as they devoted 20 minutes to the debate over the word "moist", and how it should be applied in the real world. 
My opposition to this word is pretty well documented.  But what can you use instead of "moist"?  Well, one of my friends came up with the long winded, but sufficient answer.  It is "the satisfactory ratio of wet to dry".  Yeah, I'll take an extra 10 seconds to spit that out. 
And so, 45 minutes later, I was at my desk, eating breakfast - my baking creation from last night (still using leftover cranberries).  They were divine.  And...the perfect ratio, I must say!
Cranberry  Breakfast Muffins
 Ingredients:
1 cup fresh cranberries, chopped
1.5 cups whole wheat flour
.5 cups old fashioned oats
1/2 cup applesauce
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 egg
1 tsp orange zest

In a large bowl, mix sugar, egg, applesauce, and oats.  Sift in flour, baking power, salt.  Fold in orange zest and cranberries.  In a mini muffin pan (makes 30) or a large muffin pan (makes 12) add batter until 2/3 full.  Bake at 350 for 20 minutes (minis) or 28-30 minutes (full sized) or until golden brown.  Allow to cool and store for a weeks worth of yummy on the go breakfasts.

Divine with a cup of Earl Grey this morning.  Chewy, tart, sweet, and....moist.

Fine.  I said it.  There is no other word :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment