Friday, December 28, 2012

Reset

I'm starting to feel human again.  With the hubbub of a new grant at work, Thanksgiving, a few big family events, and Christmas....the last 3 months have been....alot to handle.
Mostly good stress.
But still, stress.
Don't get me wrong.  I love the holidays as much as anyone-they're fun, you get to see people you haven't in awhile, and the little kid comes out in all of us.
But they are busy.  With cooking.  and baking.  and shopping. and get togethers. and prep work.  and clean up.
Worth it?  Totally.  But after awhile, the world really seems to get to be a bit much for this introvert.
I know we've had this discussion before, but I'm a natural introvert (so is the huz-which can be great, or super scary, depending on how you look at it!).  We love being around people and doing things.  But we both derive our strength from within.  Coincidence that endurance training is hours spent alone with ones thoughts?  Nope!
The holidays were great.  Probably the best ones yet.  But on December 26th, all this little introvert wanted to do was crawl into the safety of her own home and spend some time.
Cleaning.  Running.  Organizing.  reading.  Tackling that monster to do list.
Alone.
Alone, alone alone.
I'm not ashamed to admit that I've had alot of alone time in the past two days.  And alot of sleep.  And I may have even read a few books that I got for Christmas already.
It's my reset.  My rejuvenation.  Part 1.
Some of that rejuvenation included a few too many leftover Christmas cookies and yummy sauce and meatballs.
And I'm okay with that.
Time for reset part 2.  No dieting, but a break from the sugary, salty, heavy stuff.  More substance, less fluff.  So when I met a friend for lunch, I ordered sensibly- a nice sirloin and double veggies (I'm borderline anemic, so a good steak is key every so often).

It was delicious.  And so was the afternoon 8 mile run in the beautiful winter snow.  (I keep forgetting I'm running a half marathon in 3 weeks....for fun, not time, right? :-))  That's reset, part 2.  Good, healthy food.  Reconnection with some friends I haven't seen in awhile.  And goodness to my body.
And now, with my belly full, workout done, fresh groceries in the fridge, and blog post done, it's time for some reconnection with my other half.
Balance.  And reset.  A great way to enter into 2013, if you ask me.  Three more days left in the year....how are you going to end 2012?

No comments:

Post a Comment