Sunday, December 30, 2012

Out with the Old, in with the New

In reviewing my bloggy from 2012, I have discovered a travesty.
No resolutions.
None.
What??
I was looking through the January posts last year, and I think in a fit of  "I'm good enough just as I am" type of self esteem exercise, I decided to forgo resolutions, and instead just work on some small things bit bit bit, sans the stress of public "I pledge to" promises.
Which is fine.
But....resolutions are fun.  I've failed at them, no doubt about it (evidence of one year, when I decided to stop cursing.  At a party.  Playing drinking games.  Yep.  That one lasted 7 minutes.  Oops).
I've also succeeded with them-using them as a kick in the pants to get to racing weight, get organized, and save x amount of dollars in x amount of months.
The road goes both ways.
2012 was a decent year-definitely full of it's ups and downs, twists and turns.  But it was sort of a year of transition for me.  Pulling the bike in from 2011 and just hangin out in T2 until I can go for a run.  And that's fine.  I think we all need some down years.  But I'm ready for some action in 2013, and with that in mind, it's time to be thoughtful about my plans.
No weight loss resolutions.  No PR resolutions.  And for the love of all that is good, no swearing resolutions (c'mon, why invite failure?).
Rather than focusing on "x" on the scale, "x:xx" on the time clock, or how I can stop acting like a sailor in mixed company, I've decided to go more global with my resolutions this year.
Here's to 2013 Goals:

1.  Enjoy being active.  Whether it's racing, a long swim, or a trail run, I'm going to just enjoy the process of what my body can do this year.  If I want to do a 5k because it sounds fun, I'm going for it.  If I've done a certain race for the last 6 years and I just don't feel like it, I'm not going to force myself.  Whether I PR or not, the races I have enjoyed the most have been the ones that I just can't wait for the starting gun to fire. Time to get back to the good ole kid version of triathlon (and running) - swim with my buddies, pedal around town, and run like a little kid playing tag.  Yeah!

2.  Stop and Smell the Flowers.  I'm a busy person.  I tend to make lists, check them off, and always have to be "doing" something to feel validated.  (Okay, I'm I'm not busy.  I'm type A. I understand and accept that).  This year, I resolve to be less scheduled.  To plan things, but be okay if the field of wildflowers looks just so pretty that I have to get out of the car and just enjoy the sunshine for 10 unscheduled minutes.  I truly believe that life happens when you're busy planning something else, and the minute beauty in something that is "meaningless" is really what it's all about.  Sign me up. 
3. To Play.  All Work and no play....much like #2, I tend to
consider a day a success only if I've "done" a certain number of things.  The workout must be done (and I love it, but it's still something to do).  The house cleaned.  Errands run.  Something off the bigger checklist accomplished.  Etc, etc etc.  Even blogging can make it to the "to do list" which really defeats the purpose of a balance blog!  Well, I don't plan to stop the list making, but I do plan to consider "playtime" functional.  A nice hike.  Making snow angels.  Coffee or shopping with a friend.  Making cookies.  Playing Dance Party on the Wii.  All fun activities.  All worth it....much more so than a clean kitchen (unless we're having company.  Then, I must clean! :-P)  So, more playing.  Less " have to do's".  I believe that it all balances out in the end, and more laughter and less "accomplishment" (word used loosely) is where it's at.
 4. To spend lots of time with the ones I love.  Self Explanatory.  I see my relatives way too infrequently...same with friends.  Phones, texting and facebook are great, but they're no substitute for catching up in person and spending time together.  Why wait for a holiday or a weekend?  Let's go running on a Tuesday or get some sandwiches on a Monday-life's too short.
 5.  To Relax....and soak in life.  To stop stressing out so much.  Make time for yoga, journaling, and other reflection time in my life.  It doesn't take much, but is so helpful in hustle bustle of everyday life. 

Well, I think that should keep me happy, busy, safe and healthy for 2013.  What's on your list?






3 comments:

  1. Wow. I SO relate! (Except the running/tri-ing parts!) Sounds like the perfect 2013 list to me - can I copy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's totally copy-able :-) Here's to a great year!!

      Delete