Friday, November 2, 2012

Time for some 'shrooms

And another weekend beckons.  It's been another crazy week, but thankfully, time just flies when you're having fun.  No work talk today, I'm sick of it myself.  Let's talk about the weekend!
As luck would have it, I probably piked the rainiest, muddiest, coldest weekend to pop my trail running cherry-tomorrow I'm doing the Mendon Ponds 20k trail race "just for kicks".  Am I trained?  Ahhh, no.  I know I can run 12.5 miles, but to say this is a hilly race would be the understatement of the century.  So I'm going into the race with old running clothes, fun socks, new trail shoes (okay, ran in twice on the roads trail shoes), and humor.  Do not call me inspirational or follow in my footsteps.  I'm an idiot, and I own that.  Either way, it should be alot of fun.  Hubs is doing the 10k, so I told him it's his job to have fresh clothes at the end for me and to save me a slice of pizza.  Good man, good man.  Goal time?  Pshaw.  Just to finish.  No, I'm not lying.
So, after I collapse in the woods (hah!) and get home and dry off, it's time to party!  My cousin is turning 40 this weekend, so she's throwing a 70s themed birthday party for friends and family.  Good thing we're family..... :-P....
It's a dress up party, so I'm rocking clothes my grandma made for my mom (yep, you got that right).  Pictures to come, but I'll give you a small hint....the hubs has been walking around calling me "princess bubble yum".  Oh, it's gonna be special.
We also have to bring something '70s themed to eat.  Thus, the title of this post.  Nah, just kidding.  I'm making either carrot cake or a jello salad.   But, while I'm at it, I did make some 'shrooms.  Just...you know...the actual fungi without any side effects, other than veggie goodness. 

Mushroom and Barley Pilaf
1 cup pearl barley
1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
1 cup chopped mushrooms
1 small onion, minced
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tsp rosemary
salt and pepper to taste

This was adapted from Wegmna's $6 meal side selections....It was originally a farro recipe with a few pricier ingredients, so I made it a bit cheaper and healthier cause I'm classy like that.  Or something.
Ahem.

Directions:  Saute onion in olive oil until brown.  Add in dry barley and toast for 1-2 minutes, shaking often.  Add 2 cups water,  mushrooms, salt and pepper.  bring to a boil.  Lower to simmer, cook for 20 minutes or until barley is soft.  Add in tomatoes and rosemary, warm through.  Serves 4 as a side dish, or add in some protein (chicken or tofu would be good!) and serve 2 as a meal.

Nutrition Stats (for 4 side dishes)
Kcal:  150
Fat:  2 g
Protein:  8g
Carbs:  25g
Fiber:  5g

Not too shabby!  Perfect for a simple fall meal, or getting those pre race carbs in!!  Hey, I need all the help I can get tomorrow.....

What's on your agenda for the weekend?  Besides snow......yeah, we had a few flakes today.  Curse you, winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment