Sunday, May 19, 2013

Spring Duathlon 2013-Half a race report :-)

Why just half?  Well, I didn't do the whole thing, of course!  The Spring Duathlon at Mendon Ponds Park is a great season opener, one we've used many times to prep for the upcoming year's tri's.  This year, Greg was set to take on the super sprint (2 mile run, 10 mile bike, 1 mile run) and Dada Glaser and I were tackling the formula one as a team (2 mile run, 10 mile bike, 1 mile run, 10 mile bike, 2 mile run).  My doc gave me the green light on Friday, telling me to have a great time, take it easy, and listen to my body.  I can do that!

Race morning dawned bright and early, with temps in the 50s, perfect weather.  I was up a decent amount during the the night with a kicking kiddo (good practice for baby life!).  I ate a few pancakes for pre-race fuel, drank some coffee (yea, decaf) and we were off!)  It felt really strange not packing my bike, just needed some running gear....I was thankful to be able to still fit into my pre preggo running tights, and the "Running for Two" jersey was finally filling out!  Pre-race, we chatted, hung out with family, said hello to a few friends, and before we knew it, it was time to go!

Run 1:  20:48 (10:24/mile)
Let me start off by saying that this run...is never boring.  It's 99% on trails, and has.....way more uphills than downhills.  I was hoping to keep about a 10 or 11 minute pace, unless I needed to walk more, which was fine.  I started out a bit too fast, paid for it within the first 5 minutes, then chilled the heck out.  I got tons of fun comments on the shirt, and just smiled the whole time...even through "suicide hill" (our version of heartbreak hill. )  Before I knew it, I was rounding T1 and handing the chip off to Dad!



 During the break, I hung out with my mom, uncle, and Lois, Dad's main squeeze.  We chatted (okay, my mom the motor mouth chatted!  Love ya, mom!)  and did fun things like compare belly size.  Not sure who won that contest :-P  I'm pretty sure I peed at least 3 times during the 40 minute break (hey, such is life) and then got ready to take on run 2!

Run 2:  10:22 (10:22/mile)
The second run lopped off part of the 2 mile course (I know, no kidding) but of course kept all the best hills.  Yay?  I took the start more conservatively, and had no issues at all.  As I came into T...3?  I heard my favorite race announce Ellen commenting on how I was running for two and looked great!  Yeah!  I started grinning....I certainly wasn't racing or breaking any speed records, but baby and I were having fun!! I once again handed off the chip to my biker (who may have been having less than charitable thoughts about this one by now) and he was off!

During the second break, I got to hang out with the hubs, who had just scored a sweet new PR (go babe!)  We stretched, I peed...twice...(yep, that's how I do!) and caught up with his race.  This race was so weird...I really enjoyed the breaks, but they definitely broke my concentration.  Usually I'm all about the race form the starting gun, but that's hard to do when there are people that came to see you that want to talk...about you, the baby, the race, their lives, etc.  I enjoyed it, but I am certainly glad it was a fun run, or my natural competitor would have been much more antisocial :-P  I did manage to scare away a minute or two for me before I saw Dad coming in from bike 2, and then I took off to finish this thing!

Run 3:  21:42 (10:51/mile)
Even though I had some nice breaks, my body was feeling the being "on" for over two hours at this point.  I knew right from the get go I needed to take it slow, so that's what I did!  Not much to report on this run....I thanked the volunteers (who told me I was bad-ass and "so tiny"!), looked that the scenery, and just thanked heavens that I was able to still do this.  As I finished out the last half mile, I blew out a breath and promised myself to stay "sub 11" for all the runs.  As I came in, Ellen announced me and baby, telling the world that I was 6....no wait 7! months pregnant and still kickin butt.  Yeah baby g-we got this!  I finished proud, gave dad- to-be a big hug, and we took the obligatory finishers photo.
Photo courtesy of Lois Trieb, our professional on the course!!
 This one pretty much sums it up.  Team 3 generations and proud of it!  I never thought I would be able to do what I loved so far into my pregnancy, but 31 weeks in, we still are a chuggin along.  One step at a time, keeping an eye on my body and baby, but still going for it!  And that's all I really can ask.  Next up-Corporate Challenge on Tuesday! 
But first, to the victors go the spoils.
 Cause what's the use in being pregnant if you can't indulge in some good ole China Buffet?  Yum!!

No comments:

Post a Comment