Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Race Week, baby!

Or...race week....BABY!  Yeah, it's like that.  So, as we round into the 30th week of el preggo (pun intended), I find myself in a situation I haven't been in in quite a while - in the next six days, I have not one, but two races!  Woah, super woman!  What's on tap for runnin'?

Sorry Mussel guy....no rides for you!
1.  The Spring Duathlon - This is a race Greg and I have done several times, along with it's counterpart, the fall duathlon (crazy names, I know).  These take place in Mendon Ponds, and are nice, small, local races, drawing about 200 people.  The Spring Du is a 2 mile run, 10 mile bike, 1 mile run, 10 mile bike, 2 mile run (or you can opt to super sprint and chop off the last bike/run).  Now, vcalm down, killas.  Even though I like to pretend that I can do it all, my preggo self only bikes in one place right now....my basement.  I have the clear to bike if I want, but that would be moreseo mountain biking at a leisurely 12mph on the canal with no cars.  Not a 19 mph, clipped in, on the road Mendon race.  Nah.  I'm a little too uncoordinated now, plus I kinda like keeping lil bit safe.  For the next two months while I have control, that is :-P  So, my awesome father in law and I have teamed up to tackle this du- I'm the runner (waddler?) and he's the biker.  Saturday's the big day-hopefully it doesn't snow!!! 
Me and Alexa at the Fall Du 2009...woah!
I've had awesome luck with this race before-it's quite hilly and by no means will you see a PR for running or 10 miles of biking, but the hilly trails suit me.  Of course, this year it's all about running for two, so I am sure there will be plenty of walking in my future!

2.  The JP Morgan Corporate Challenge - Next Tuesday, I will line up with 30 of my co-workers and 10,000 other best friends at the RIT campus and run 3.5 miles just for the heck of it.  I ran this race back in 2008 as part of team BJ's, and I think it's a pretty awesome concept-supporting corporate wellness. Now, the last time I raced this course, I clocked in under 29 minutes....somehow, I think that won't be the case this time....but it will be fun nonetheless!  I put down (optimistically) a 35 minute time finish...we'll see if I can make it happen!To add to the fun, I'll be at a conference in DC the three days before...my plane lands at 5, and the run starts at 7.  Who says I don't know how to have fun?  (Yes, Dad, I know.  I'm crazy.  But both momma and doc are okay, so on we go!)

So excited for these races.  While I've been really happy to be pregnant, it feels a bit like part of me is lost...and this is more of the old me.  Early wakeups, transition, body marking, and a starting gun.  Post race food.  A race shirt.  Sweating it out with people I know and adore.

And then, ya know, that whole birthing thing.  :-P  Speaking of which...this week we've set up an appointment with a pediatrician, a hospital tour, and filled out pre-admission forms.  Yikes.  Starting to get real!!!

Are you racing this weekend?  Anything fun coming down the pipes?  Tell me about it so I can live vicariously through you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment