Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs

 Yeah, i know I stole that.  What's sad is...I've never even seen the movie.  Who's seen it?  Was it any good?
Well, ya know whats always good?  Meatballs.  Turkey, beef, homemade...any kind.  Preferably the nicely simmered homemade meatballs in sauce at Christmas....ahhh, I am an Italian girl at heart.
But it's not Christmas.  It's July.  Unless you count Christmas in July (my mom doesn't.  Therefore, I make due with my own sad attempts at meatballs or Mama Rosa's Turkey meatballs, which are surprisingly good for frozen).
Yeah, I'm babbling.  Sorry.  We've had a sick kiddo at casa Glaser, well, two if you count my other half.  And I'm sleep deprived (even more so).  And shower deprived.  And sanity deprived (oh wait, I never had that).  So, rather than shower, I decided to cook dinner.  And blog about it.  Don't you feel special?  (Nah.  I lied.  I showered while these were cooking - #mommyvictory).
Easy to assemble.  All ingredients in the fridge.  Serves two for dinner, four for appetizers.  And with coupons, comes out to $2.50 a serving for dinner.  I'll drink to that.  If you bring the wine.

Meatball Clouds

Two packages buttermilk biscuits (the small kind that come 10 in a box)
10 meatballs (any kin, I used frozen)
5 pieces string cheese
2 tbsp minced garlic (I used jarred)
1 cup tomato sauce, divided

Preheat oven to 375.  On a baking sheet, press out one container of biscuits until dough is flat, about one inch apart.  Sprinkle garlic on the dough, add a meatball.  Dice string cheese into 4 even pieces, add 2 pieces, one to each side of meatball.  Repeat with 9 additional dough rounds.  On the counter top, open the second package of dough, flatten out, then top each meatball creation with the second pocket of dough, pinching the edges.  Bake for 30 minutes, broil for 2 to get nice browned look.
Serve with 1/2 cup each of tomato sauce for dipping.

The verdict?  A nice compact lil meatball sub-ideal for football parties (coming soon!), little fingers (coming soon!) and tired parents in need of a little comfort food without alot of fuss. (Comin...oh wait, that's us :-))

I'll count that as a success for a Wednesday!  Now, off to snuggle with my men....they need some serious feel better time!

No comments:

Post a Comment