Thursday, July 11, 2013

Fireworks and Tingles-Our Liitle Man is Born!

Woah, has it almost been a week?  Where does the time go?  Well, if you've ever had a newborn, you know, so I'll skip that part :-)  First of all, thank you so much for your kind emails and comments-Greg and I are so unbelievably happy to have our perfect little man in our arms finally!  with that....holy heck was he in a rush to get here!!  It all started the day before Independence day....
I went to work on July 3rd to tie up my loose ends and take 2 weeks off before the kiddo was due.  I planned to garage sale, nest, and last stretch of non mommyhood indulgence :-)  I finished up my projects and left work for my vacation/maternity leave at 5pm that day.  I came home, did some kickboxing, and settled down into dinner.  Shortly after dinner, I began getting some Braxton Hicks  contractions.  They sucked, but I'd had them before.  No big deal.  Two hous later, they were still coming about every 10 minutes.  I told Greg not to worry, and settled on the couch for the night so I didn't wake him up.  By 3am, I was really feeling it.  I took a few baths and tried to get comfortable.  Finally, at 5am, I called the on call.  They told me I was most likely in false labor, and to call if I couldnt breathe through tohe contractions.  At 8am, I was there.  Throwing up, really hurting, and starting to hate life.  My OB told me to come on in, so Greg and I had a quick "holy crap" moment, grabbed the bags (where were thankfully packed!) and consulted our door list, and rushed out!
When I got the hospital, I was 80% effaced and 1cm.  Ugh.  They made me walk around for an hour to speed things up, which was super touch at that point.  The contractions were coming every 5 minutes and getting stronger.  At dice.  They sent me home-at least with some percocet to help deal with the contractions.  False Labor?  My butt.
Thursday afternoon was a blur.  I took some meds (which annoyed me, but I had been up for 31 hours at this point and was seriously urting.  I managed to grab a bit of rest between the contractions, which, in hind site, was an awesome idea.  Thursday overnight was more of the same...I htink I took 4 baths and ate about 30 Popsicles.  I started timing the contractions and knew they were getting worse.  At 9am I called my OB-I was concerned I was leaking amniotic fluid and they called me in to get an exam.  At 11am, I saw the doc and she pronounced me 4cm and...ready to have a baby!!  Holy crap!  Greg and I rushed to the hospital-thankfully we had the foresight to grab the bags again!
The next 4 hours were a blur of contractions and some pitocin to help speed up things-after 3 hours I was still 4cm, but the pitocin really helped things along-at 5pm I was 9cm and almost there!  I thankfully was able to not have an epidural, and my labor coach (Greg) just rocked my socks off).  We talked about swimming in the lake, climbing the climb into Placid (a long journey, but so worth it!) and other things to help get me through.  Such an amazing man...and I only yelled at him once! I won't go into details....but I remember the tingles the most-working so hard my body felt all tingly and crazy.  The nurse walked me through how not to hyperventilate....and I still remember yelling "Tingles! Tingles" The crazy things we do in labor! 
Shortly after 5, I was pronounced ready to push, and I geared up. 8 minutes little speedster was here, and my husband looked on in wonder, speechless.  All the docs were yelling at him to tell me what it was....and he finally said..."looks like a boy to me!!"  My son was here :-)
Little man gave us a scare at first, as he was in such a hurry that he forgot to breathe!  30 seconds and a few pats later, he scored a 9 on the apgar and was put in my arms.  And I fell even more in love with a human being than I thought possible.
Robert, I love you kiddo.  Even though you came on your own timetable and are calling the shots from now on, I have no idea what I did without you in my life.  You are my perfect man, and I can't wait to be your Mommy.  I promise to try my best, to protect you, to keep the monsters away, and to love you my whole life.
Except the daddy monster.  Watch out.....he likes toes :-)

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations, Rae and Greg! He's beautiful...and he sprinted the finish - true Iron Baby!