Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Say Cheese!


Cravings...are so weird.  Now, for the past 15 years (or so...), I've had chocolate cravings.  Sweets cravings.  No prob.  I know that some yogurt will cover a sweets craving, and chocolate dipped strawberries are an awesome healthy alternative to a Snickers Bar. I also know when to just say stuff it and eat the damned candy bar...because sometimes, fruit doesn't hack it.
But the last 10 weeks....have shown me how drastically your body can change.  I dont want sweet quinoa for dinner.  Or oats with fruit for breakfast.  Or even sweet potatoes.
Yuck.
Give me meat.  And potatoes.  And cheese (preferably on pizza).  Who am I?  Oh right.  I'm pregnant.  And highly unpredictable.  Oh well.  I'm still gonna eat cheese.  And meat/.  So to save time, I combined the two.  And because I give a crap about my health and the babies...I'll even try to keep it somewhat healthy.  Really, what else can you ask for?

Double Cheesy Meatloaf (serves 4)
1 pound 95% lean ground beef
1 cup cottage cheese
1 med onion, diced
1 egg
1/2 cup quick oats
1/4 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp minced garlic
1/4 cup barbecue sauce


In a large mixing bowl, combine ground beef, egg, cottage cheese, cheddar cheese, oats, onion, and spices.  Fold into a loaf shape (it wont be pretty).  Bake at 350 for 45 minutes in a loaf pan (duh, I know).  Remove and drizzle barbecue sauce over top, return to oven and bake for 5 minutes, then broil for 5 to caramelize the sauce.  Allow to sit at room temp for 5 minutes before serving so it doesn't break apart.

Served alongside roasted purple potatoes (looks weird, tastes amazing).  That was some cheesy, proteiny, meaty goodness.  Yep, that's what she said.
Hey, this is a preggo inspired recipe that isn't too weird.  I'll save the pickle ice cream for dessert recipe for later....(kidding!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment