Friday, February 15, 2013

Routine or Rut?

Well, hey now.  How is it already Friday?  I dunno, but I'm going to take it and run with it!
How has your week been?  It's another jam packed mess in my world, but I suppose that it makes the weekend come sooner, so I won't complain.  Sound good?  Good.
So, it's Friday.  That means its a wear jeans to work kind of day.  A swimming during lunch day.  A pizza for dinner kind of night.  And a catch up with friends over the phone, skype, or in person kind of night.
Every Friday.
What a rut.  Or a routine?  I was thinking about this the other day....my life is most certainly not set in stone, but there are a number of things that I fall into a routine with....on a daily and weekly basis.
For example:
1.  My route to work.  Same.  Every day.  I know what time I need to leave to avoid certain traffic patterns.  What time i need to hit 490 in order to make it to my deck by 4:30.  And exactly what time I need to leave in order to make it home in 26 minutes.  Flat.
2. My workout schedule-
Swimming-MWF
Running-Tues, Thurs, Sun (this has changed somewhat with BG on board!)
Biking-Weds and Sat
Strength: Tues and Sat
Every. Week.  Sometimes with a T run on Saturdays.  Distances vary, workout schedule does not.  I have changed this up a bit in the last 3 months, but that's out of necessity to this weird alien body I'm lugging around. heh.

3.  Mealtimes-Breakfast when I get to work.  Snack at 11:30.  Lunch at 2pm.  Dinner at 7pm.  Snack at 9pm.  Is my body on a clock?  I doubt it.  But my mind is.
4.  This is pathetic...but even my clothes!  I think I wear the same sweater every Monday.  And I know without a doubt that I re-wear the same 6 outfits all the damn time.
5.  My weekends.  Get up at the same time.  Eggs on Saturday, pancakes on Sunday.  Clean house and run errands on Saturday.  PJs on Sunday.  Same workouts.  Same lunch.  Same, same, same.

I could go on and on, but that's a good summary.  I never really noticed this until a few months ago, when I started changing up a few things...namely my workouts and eating patterns.  Was the old way a problem?  I don't think so, I was happy-but it's kind of neat trying out new workouts based on what my body is feeling, rather than being slave to a set plan.  And eating new foods based on what I am "craving" (I use this loosely), rather than what I normally eat.

Except for pizza on Fridays.  Because, as we know, right now....every night could be pizza night. I wish it was.

So here's my challenge (join me if you will!)  I want to change up one thing about my routine each day.  Whether it be a new way to work, or a new outfit that's been buried in my closet for months....or a new food for dinner...I'm in.  Starting today.  Stuff it, I'm taking the scenic route home.  And I water ran instead of swimming today. 

Change is good!
Do you have a set routine?  Does it work for you, or do you ever feel like you're getting into a rut?

No comments:

Post a Comment