Friday, February 22, 2013

Beans, Beans

Announcement time!  I am hereby...banning the world from eating french fries.  I smell them.  I see them.  I am freaking lusting after them 24/7.  Stop the insanity!!  Thankfully, I have my ole roasted potato into fry shapes trick down pat so that I don;t have to gain 40 pounds of fry grease in the next week....and turn my unborn child into a fry head at 4.5 months.  Whew.  But...one can only have so many stand alone fry indulgences.  So, you gotta pair that with something healthy.  And delicious.  And....burger themed.  Hmm.  Smells like it's veggie burger time!! 

Good for your Kidney....bean burgers :-)

1 15 oz can kidney beans
1/2 old fashioned oats
1 egg
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. black pepper
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese



In a large mixing bowl, combine beans, egg, oats and spices. Add food chopper/mixer, pulse until fine. Add in flour to form a firm batter. Refrigerate for one hour. Stir in cheese.  Add 1-2 tbsp oil to a frying pan and scoop batter into patty shape, frying on each side 3-5 minutes or until brown. Makes 4 patties.

Perfect for fry accompaniment.  Err...I mean main course.   Yes, exactly.  The best thing about these burgers is that they are so darn versatile....I was going to make black bean burgers but SOMEONE ate the last can of black beans (okay, it was probably me) so I worked with what I had.  Double bonus?  The hubs brought the leftovers to work for lunch the next day and two people asked for the recipe after having a taste (brushes off Nigella Lawson-esque shoulders).  Okay, not really.  About the Nigella part.  Not about the co-workers :-)

Enjoy these on a weeknight where cooking...is just not the main priority!

No comments:

Post a Comment