Friday, January 25, 2013

Keen-WHAT?

Well, holy heck.  Only a 3 day week and I feel like I've been run over by a bus.  I've used that one before, haven't I?  Time to get some new material.  Meh.
Okay, okay.  I know I owe you a week 14 post, and it's in progress, so hang on to your hats till tomorrow and I promise another post full of waxing poetic about my pregnancy (god knows I do that enough, right?)  Well, so you can appropriately gag, let me give you some material to work with first.
But you won't need it.  This is yummy, I promise.
So, yesterday, I travelled to Albany for an all day meeting.  13 hours and a -15 stint on the thruway is an awesome way to spend the day, but at least lunch was provided.  Except...it was all sandwiches.  With deli meats.  I love deli meats. But my OB would shoot me if I ate them, so for the next 6 months...its veggie sammies or steamed deli meats (which really activates your gag relflex, does it not)
No matter.  I might not be a girl scout or a bona fide mommy yet, but I come prepared.  With my own veggies.  And grains.  That include protein, all in one nice neat salad.
Boom.  And of course, because I love you, I'm gonna share this fantastical portable, travelable (nah, that's not a word) delicious veggie salad.  Check it out!


Power Quinoa Salad (serves 2)
1/2 cup quinoa, dry
1 yellow pepper, diced
one medium onion, diced
1 cup broccoli, diced
1 tsp garlic, diced
half lemon
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp parsley

Saute chopped pepper, onion and broccoli and garlic in olive oil until soft.  Set aside.  Measure out 1.2 cup dry quinoa and add to a small saucepan.  Add in 1 cup water.  Bring water to a boil, then simmer on low for 15 minutes, or until quinoa is soft.  Add in veggies and warm through.  Remove from heat, stir in parsley, and squeeze half lemon throughout to get the yummy flavor through.  Refrigerate overnight to let the flavors marinate.  Serve warm or cold.

Delicious.  Maybe not traveling 450 miles in one day delicious, but hey, it got the job done.

Have a wonderful Friday night-I'm off to have a girls night, then gloriously sleeping in (I hope) in the a.m.!  What are you up to this weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment