Wednesday, January 16, 2013

It's What's for Dinner

Less than 36 hours till Florida....and counting.  Phew.  If I can make it, Ill be impressed.  What a day!!  I knew it was going to be a busy one-I had meetings lined up all day, both with my staff and my boss. I hate meetings. So I got out of it. 
Not my best plan.  (I'm kidding, folks.  I would never do this on purpose).  Around noon, I was eating a piece of fruit (nectarine) in order to fuel my lunch run, and I felt something weird on my tooth.  Well, the absence of something.  Like part of my tooth.  Yeah, I chipped my damn front tooth on a nectarine pit.  Awesome.
So instead of my 2pm, or my 3pm, I ended up...in the dentist's chair.  For over an hour.  Lame.  It's fixed now, but...I got no run.  I have meetings up the wazoo tomorrow.  And sometime in there, I have to pack.  Plus, I ended up getting home late from work tonight, so I'm zonked.
What a day.  But at least dinner was ready. And fortunately enough, it was a soft dinner.  I love my crock pot.  I love warm, comforting meals on a weekday.  And I love plugging the sucker in at 7:30am, and coming home to a fully cooked, yummy smelling meal at 7:30pm.
So what's cookin?  Well, it's what's for dinner-BEEF!

Crockpot Beef Stew
12 oz beef, cubed (I used sirloin, but any cut will work)
1/4 cup flour
6 1/2 cups water, divided
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp. olive oil
8 cups assorted veggies, chopped- I used mushrooms, sweet potato, white potato, broccoli, and onion
2 cubes beef bouillon

Cube the steak into bite sized pieces.  Saute for 5 minutes in olive oil and garlic, or until brown.  Add to the crock.  Add in veggies and 5 cups water.  Boil one cup of water and dissolve bouillon cubes into water, add to crock.  In a cup, mix flour and 1/2 cup water, which until smooth.  Store into crock thoroughly.  Place in the fridge overnight.  Take it out in the morning, add all ingredients to the cooker, and leave for work.  12 hours later.....
Heavenly. (even if it isn't super pretty). 
Now if you'll excuse me, I have some DVRed Bachelor to watch with my comfort food.  Mmmmm.  To both.  Tomorrow will be better, but today ended pretty darn well :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment