Monday, January 28, 2013

I feel like Chicken Tonight

Damn.  I did it to myself. I admit it.  Here I am, trying to come up with a catchy blog post title and...nuthin.  All of you that have been blogging for years appreciate the fact that...you want to capture someones attention and get to the meat of your story, right?  And not commit the biggest sin...repeating a title.  Which is hard as heck after about 700 posts, right?  I mean, what's so darn unique about what I ate for dinner?  It was chicken.  Okay.  And even though it might be a lame title....we all know where it came from.  And now, like me, you've probably got that damn commercial stuck in your head.  I'm sorry.  truly I am.  How an I make it up to you? Oh, by giving you the recipe to an easy, delicious weeknight dinner?  You got it.

Lightened Up Chicken Alfredo (serves 2)


8 oz chicken breast, cubed
2 cups chopped broccoli
1 tbsp garlic
1 cup skim milk
1/2 cup white wine (I used sauv blanc, but any will do!0
1 tsp flour
2 tbsp olive oil, divided
2 tbsp butter
2 cups dry whole wheat rotini

Cook the pasta al dente, 7-8 minutes, drain and set aside.  Steam the broccoli until almost cooked (firm, but warmed through, about 5 minutes, set aside.   Add 1 tbsp olive oil to a saucepan and add in cubed chicken, brown and set aside.  Clean out the pan (I used the same pan for all steps, rinsing between).  For the sauce, add the remaining tbsp of oil, garlic, and flour and heat until butter is melted, stirring constantly.  slowly add in milk and stir until a nice sauce is formed.  Add in wine and reduce to low, stirring for about a minute.  Add back in veggies, chicken and pasta, and heat through on low for 5 minutes, tossing to coat thoroughly with sauce. 

Pour leftover wine into a nice tall glass (okay, or seltzer if you're bakin' a baby), a nice side salad drizzled with balsamic, and plate for two.

Who says Monday night can't be romantic?  Well, at least until I turn on the bachelor....wait, Greg?  Where did you go?  :-)  Just kidding!

No comments:

Post a Comment