Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Cheese Whiz

Welcome to Crockpot/freezer week!  Even though life has been crazy hectic lately, I know I've only seen a fraction of what it's going to look like in a week when I go back to work.  With that in mind, I'm trying to grab any half hour I can see (which isn't many, as little man is in ANOTHER growth spurt!) and do some batch cooking.  I'm planning on doing a big prep every Sunday to knock out a few days worth of meals, and then another on Wednesday or Thursday.  We'll see how it goes.  Of course, it helps to have an arsenal, so I'm working on freezer meals this week - a double bonus with all of the wonderful seasonal produce!  I made my first batch a few days ago, and since it was rather chilly out, I included soup.  Since Gramma P. was watching Rob and is on a low carb diabetic diet, she requested some kitchen magic.  I can deliver.

Unexpected Broccoli Cheese Soup
(serves 4)

3 cups broccoli, chopped
6 strips turkey bacon
1 cup onion
2 cups celery, diced
1 cup corn (optional - not low carb)
1cup evaporated milk
1 tbsp. cornstarch
3 cups water
1 bulb garlic, minced
1 chicken bouillon cube (can sub in broth, reduce water)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese


In a skillet, brown bacon.  Add onion and garlic to bacon drippings, saute for 5 minutes or until soft.  Dice bacon finely.  Add to the crockpot - broccoli, bacon, onion, celery, corn, water, bouillon, and salt/pepper.  Cook on low for 6-8 hours.  Using an immersion blender, blend the soup as desired (I left some small pieces of veggies).  Add in cheese and milk and cornstarch.  Cover and simmer on low for 30-45 minutes.  If not on low carb (as I am clearly not!)....serve with delicious bread (we opted for pretzel rolls!
Noms.  Delicious on day one (though Greg did comment that the celery made it taste different-not quite the "expected" flavor), delicious as leftovers, and wonderfully freezeable.

More to come! 


No comments:

Post a Comment