Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Swiss Family Glaser

I'd like to promise you that "Tri'ing for Balance" is in a little bit of a blogging break and I'll soon go back to posting every day or at the least, every other day.
But I promised I wouldn't lie to you quite some time ago.  And as I'm working through this darn third trimester and family emergencies, work commitments, and, oh well, lets face it...LIFE...keeps getting in the way, I find myself being able to grab 15 minutes to blog less and less.  So, we're working through it.  I'm assuming life with an infant will improve many things. But not the blog.
So, bear with me if you will.  I promise to keep posting on my pregnancy, running adventures (waning now, but planning 2014 with a vengeance!) and recipe testing...just maybe not as frequently.  After all, your time is just as valuable as mine, right?  Right.
So, speaking of recipes, whens the last time I posted something good?  I know!  It's not the I've fallen out of love with cooking, but due to time constraints (see above #firstworldproblems) and lack of functioning taste buds (really does happen when you have da Buddha belly), I just have been more reliant on non-interesting food.  But this past weekend, I decided to change that.  Greg and I had designs to grill out, but the combination of the crap weather and running out of propane cooled our jets (literally).  So here I had these gorgeous steaks all ready to go and no grill to work with.  What's a girl to do?  Make swiss steak!  (with some tweaks, natch).

Swiss Steak a la Glaser (serves 4)

2 8 oz sirloin steaks, cubed
2 tbsp flour
Salt and pepper, to taste
28 oz. diced tomatoes
2 onions, diced
2 cups mushrooms, diced
1 tbsp. olive oil
2 cups white rice, uncooked


Just a note- this dish can be done in the crock pot for those busy weeknights.  Don't tell Julia Child, but I've been known to throw the above mentioned ingredients all together in the crock, set on low for 8 hours, then go (omitting olive oil).  But, you want a real recipe.  So if you want real swiss steak, let's do it.
In a skillet, heat oil.  Dredge steak cubes in flour, salt and pepper, and brown.  Add in onions and garlic, saute for about 5 minutes. 
In a dutch oven, add in tomatoes and mushrooms.  Top with beef, onions and garlic, cover.  Cook at 300 for 90 minutes, no peeking!
During the last 20 minutes of cooking, cook rice as directed on stove top.  Spoon rice onto plate and top with beef and veggie deliciousness.  Serves 4 people comfortably.

Well, it might be summertime, but comfort food has no season.  And this was delicious.  I would add peppers next time a la traditional swiss steak but....the pepper fairy forgot to pick those up at the market this week.  Ooops.

Have a wonderful Wednesday!  Any recipes you're loving on lately?



No comments:

Post a Comment