Saturday, October 19, 2013

Curry in a Hurry

Ugh, I know.  Massive eye roll at the title.  I'm with you.  It's lame.  But hey, I'm sleep deprived so cut a woman some slack, k?  Thanks :-)
Seeing as we are now back in full swing  it's time for a go go go.  And we're working on it.  Two parents working 40 hours a week with an infant isn't anything new, but I swear it really IS rocket science....fueled on little sleep.  My solution?  Batch cooking, streamlining, and cramming everything I can into the random free hour that comes my way.  So...I make meals for Sunday, Monday and Tuesday on Sunday, and for Wednesday, Thursday and Friday on Wednesdays.  I try to mix up the veggies, protein and carbs, and we feast on leftovers for lunch.  Makes it a ton easier on those weekday nights to get in some kiddo snuggles, a workout, and dare I say it?  A quick bubble bath!  On the menu this past week - chicken sandwiches, beans and rice, tofu and tater fries, stiry fry with edamame, and curry!  The curry was a new recipe of this n that- it was easy, fast, and quite delicious!  So, OF COURSE, I want to share with you.....

Easy Chickpea Curry (serves 4)

2 cups cooked chickpeas (I used dried, but you could sub in canned)
1 cup onions, diced
1 14 oz can stewed tomatoes
1/4 cup raisins
1 tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. garam masala
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tbsp. curry powder
1 tbsp. brown sugar


Saute the garlic and onion with the olive oil in a sauce pan for about 5 minutes, or until soft.  Add the cooked chickpeas, tomatoes and raisins.  Add in a splash of water (I used 1/4 cup), simmer.  Add in spices, cover and cook on low for 15 minutes.  Serve over a bed of rice (I used 1 cup uncooked for 4 servings).

30 minutes prep from start to finish (well, aside from the chickpeas, which soaked overnight, but that's super easy!).  And it was...deeeeeeeeeellllllllllliiiiiiiiiiiissshhh.  Authentic curry?  Probably not.  But it sure tasted good :-)

Whats your go to meal for weeknights?  We usually rely on veggie burgers, pasta and veggies, crockpot soups,  or chicken breasts and rice, but I'm trying to expand my repertoire!  On the menu this week coming up....enchiladas and chicken n dumplings!

1 comment:

  1. Looks good! Printed this out for us to try at home. Were you at the Monster Scramble at Mount Hope today?

    ReplyDelete