Thursday, June 26, 2014

I got the Power!

Woah, two posts within a week?  I know, I know.  Hang on to your hats.  Its been a rockin' rolling week here - I'm in the midst of power training for Musselman (I have nowhere near the bike or swim prep that I should, but hey, life happens) - a nice 3 week block that coincides PERFECTLY (note the sarcasm) with the most stress I've ever had at work (potential 75% program cuts - yikes) and trying to pull together the perfect birthday for my little dude!  So theres been alot of midnight oil burning, 4am oil burning, complete freak outs, and power days.  One way I've tried to play it smart (in a way I've seriously lacked before) is with power eating.  In the past, I've had a serious case of the restrictions, which does me no favors in terms of training, clothes fittage, or my sanity (blame the ever present chubby kid that's my inner critic).  Oddly enough, having a kiddo changed this - somehow the combo of hormones, breastfeeding and a schedule shock have fired up my metabolism to where I'm now back at racing weight (10 pounds lower than pre pregnancy weight and my happy weight-score!)  On my end, I've done my part to fill my body with at least 80% good stuff- and then enjoy my treats with the other 20% of course :-)

With limited time to cram in nutrients, I've resorted to making what I call "power bowls" at least 3-4 times a week for dinner - 4-5oz lean protein, a grain, and two or more veggies, all simmered with spices.  Easy, 20 minutes or so to cook, and delicious (Rob fully approves as well, and routinely "helps" mommy finish dinner).  My latest fave - Power Chicken Quinoa!

Power Chicken Quinoa (serves 2)

8 oz chicken breast, diced
4 cups frozen broccoli (I just toss in a full bag)
One 28 ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
2 tbsp. garlic
1 small onion, diced
2/3 cup raw quinoa
1 tbsp each parsley, rosemary and pepper

Hardly a recipe....add all the ingredients to a stockpot, add in 2 cups water, heat to boil, lower to simmer and cover for 20 minutes.  Dinner.  Gourmet?  Nope.  But each serving boasts almost 40 grams protein, 4 servings of veggies, and when paired with a sprinkling of Parmesan or mozzarella, delectable goodness.


What are you loving for dinner lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment