Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Chilly Chili

It's fricking freezing, Mr. Bigglesworth!! I managed to catch whatever crap my child is passing around town, and while I am certainly grateful that he is a sharing type of child, I'm a hot mess.  Actually, a cold mess.  To add insult to injury, it seems as if the pipes aren't working in my corner of the office right now, which means that it's about 50 degrees during the day.  Farfignugin.  Enough with the whine.....and yes, I will provide you with cheese.  Atop my Delicious crock pot dinner....Chilly Chili! - um....meant for chilly days.  Not gazpacho chili.  Ergh.  Here goes...

Chilly Chili - serves 4-6

One pound 90% lean ground beef
1 large onion
1 large green pepper
28 oz can crushed tomatoes
2 15 oz cans dark kidney beans
1 15 oz can light kidney beans
1 cup red wine (I used Merlot)
2 tbsp chopped garlic
2 tbsp each red pepper, chili pepper and black pepper
cheddar cheese, optional


Everyone has their own chili recipe, this is my classic go to.  It's simple, hearty, and healthy.  Brown ground beef and (diced) onion in a skillet (I am odd and use just a little water, but you can use EVOO if it floats your boat).   Dice pepper.  Add in rest of ingredients to the crock, cook on low for 6-8 hours.  Serve in a big ole bowl topped with cheese (we added some jalapeno cheddar for a kick!) and homemade bread (or...um....Pillsbury biscuits for us harried peeps).  Simple.  Delicious.  And never goes outta style during the cold days of winter!

In other news, I made it through week two of Ultra training, including two double digit runs back to back at damn near a sub 9 pace for the second 14 miler.  Schweet.

In other other (way more important news) check out my kiddo in the D&C!

Yeah.  He's a heart breaker.  And I love him to bits.

So, what's everyone doing for Valentine's day?  Got any ideas for me?  Anyone want to babysit? :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment