Tuesday, January 1, 2019

2019: A Fresh Perspective

Such a beautiful thing - the start of a New Year.  It reminds me of back to school for adults - the promise and start of something new, full of good intentions and energy.  Here I am world, ready to be a "better person".  Bring it.

But what does that actually mean?  Does it mean you weren't a decent person to begin with?  That you need fixing?  That you weren't good enough as you were?  It's a slippery slope.  Over the past week, I've been off from work and have had the opportunity to connect with several family members and friends that I don't usually see - whether it be distance or time the factor.  It's been amazing to catch up with people that I don't get to interact with every day - to learn what's happening in their lives since I've seen them last - to hear all about their hopes, dreams, and what they wish for in 2019.

It's mostly the normal stuff:  save money, lose weight, be a better parent, friend, fill in the blank.  All laudable goals.  I've had three requests for training plans - ranging from a 10k plan to a half marathon plan - and two more requests for a financial and/or couponing 101 ways to save money and pay down debt.

I'm flattered.  But I also walk away from these conversations with the feeling that my friends and family don't see themselves the way I do - as the funny, amazing, fantastic people that they are.  That they don't need to "fix" themselves.  That they are pretty great just the way they are.

But we are all about self improvement.  And I think that's pretty great - as long as we recognize that there is nothing lacking with who we went into 2019 as.  We just want to keep growing and realizing different ways we can reach above and beyond every day.  If we have a day that we don't do quite as well, there is always a new day to start fresh.
Source

I think the real truth to these "resolutions" boils down to one thing - your comfort zone.  I'll admit it - I am a pretty boring person.  I live off of a schedule of sleep, workouts, meals, family time, friends time, work time and me time with pretty decent regularity. I hate when things disrupt my routine.  I like doing what I'm good at, and will generally find any excuse to avoid doing what I suck at or don't like doing.

Then I watch the people that I look up to.  And they are constantly going outside their "routines" and doing scary things - things that they might not excel at.  Things that they don't do as part of a routine.  Things they might fail at.  And I'm in awe.  I want to be those people.  But...I also know that there's a pretty decent me under all that that I have no intention of losing sight of.

So, for 2019, it's all about a fresh perspective.  About first finding the good in who you are and who those around you are.  About not looking for where we are "lacking", but embracing the pretty awesome person that you are and the people you surround yourself with.

And when you're drinking your morning coffee and staring at the sunrise - dreaming of your big, scary goals that you want to accomplish - realizing that these goals are an extension of the fabulous person that you are - and taking a leap.  Of doing things that scare you.  Of doing things you might fail at.  And just going for it.

And so is my intent for 2019.  To recognize all of the wonderful people in my life and how they enrich it every day.  Of appreciating the good parts and letting go of the bad.  And to always come back to myself and ask - what are my goals to make my life even more amazing?  Have I done something today to make that happen?  Oddly enough, my friends and family have already helped me with their requests for my help, as I've defined one big scary goal for 2019 - but more on that one later.

I've always been a bit leery of January 1 resolutions.  To be fair and honest, I think that setting goals requires definition and detail that after a night of bad food, little sleep and drinking, I'm not quite ready for.  So, as history goes, I pretty much soak in the New Year, recover, take deep breaths, and go after it with gusto on January 2.  (Holy cow,  I just reread my inaugural post.  How has so much changed in 8 years??)

2019.  It's the year for big things.  And starting with the right frame of mind is half the battle.  Let's do this!


No comments:

Post a Comment