Sunday, December 30, 2018

Coffee Milk Training Recap - Weeks 1 and 2

You would think after 14 years of racing triathlon and 10 years of distance running (albeit with 2 years relatively dormant due to baby carrying) that I would have it all figured out in terms of training.  I don't.  I've played with several different  plans, each tailored to my individual needs and whimsy.  For triathlon, I've settled on a nice bastardized version of the half iron or full iron tri-geek training plan, with a bit of Friel's Training Bible thrown in there.  It's worked pretty well in the past, though with my dismal performance in the 2018 tri season, it might be time for a new plan.  Stay tuned for that one - I have until April to figure it out.

In terms of running, I'm totally in love with the Hanson marathon method.  I've talked about this one before - but in a nutshell, it's 6 runs a week - 3 of them easy easy paced - and 3 of them "SOS" runs (something of substance).  There is a tempo run that's about 20 seconds faster than MP (marathon pace), a long run that's 30 seconds slower than MP up to 16 miles, and a speed or strength repeat workout that extends from 400m-3 mile repeats.  The total weekly volume hovers between 40-50 miles per week and the idea is to learn how to run fast on tired legs.

I don't know if its circumstance of having a REALLY stressful 2018 or that my body finally adapted to running higher mileage, but I am obsessed with this plan.  I used it for the Green Mountain marathon and PRed on a hilly course, so naturally the words "BQ" are entering my mind wayyyy too often with relation to 2019.  It's still a moonshot- I need 18 minutes off my best - but I'm planning for a 10 minute PR in the spring and a BQ in the fall (race TBD), which I think is a solid goal.  I've chosen the Coffee Milk Marathon on April 7 in Rhode Island for my spring race - I have a pretty bad ass friend who has PRed with a 3:15 at Boston who offered to pace me, so the bar is set high!

In terms of "the plan" - I've used Hanson's and tweaked it to 16 weeks, adding in two 30-45 minute swims and three 30 minute bikes per week, as one of the big goals of 2019 is non tri suckage and this will give me a nice base.  With that being said, in the past, I've used some pretty high tech binders to track my workouts, nutrition, and perceived effort in the past (looking at these from 2008 is hilarious)...and that's it.  I have a Strava account I might resurrect, though I'm not sure I'm cool enough to be on Strava.  I also have a mapmyrun account I sporadically use, and a fabulous Garmin 935 that theoretically tracks metrics I have no concept of.  Basically, all you numbers people are shaking your head at me...I see it....and you're not wrong.  I suppose knowing my V02 max or figuring out what the hell training with power on the bike might help me at some point, and I'm learning.  What you have here is a slight neophyte in terms of technical anything who truly just loves to run (and sorta bike and swim)....so bear with me.

With that being said, it's always helped me in the past to reflect on my training weeks - so the grand prize for anyone that made it this far is....weekly training recap!    And since I still have a few crazy dedicated readers, you get to be my audience.  You're welcome. Get Excited.

Coffee Milk - weeks 1 and 2.

Week 1 (Dec 17-23)
Mileage:  38 miles

This week is sort of a blur, as I am a total nutcase around Christmas (yes, more than usual) and was stuck in baking, cooking, present wrapping holiday bullshit.  The plan called for 3 easy runs, which I ran too fast (easy pace is 9:15-9:30) a long run I nailed, and a tempo run I also ran too fast (I was watching swimmers at the Y flip turn way better than I ever could.  It was highly entertaining).  I left the week with the feeling that I was amped to be back, but how in the hell would I hold 8:15-8:30 pace for 26.2  15 weeks to figure that out.

Week 2 (Dec 24-30)
Mileage: 45 miles

Even with the melee of Christmas Eve and Christmas (which featured two dozen guests in my house - why am I crazy??  (Confession - I love it.)) this was a solid training week.  I had three easy runs of 6-7 miles, which I ran two of way too fast (more on that later), an 8 mile long run which I also ran way too fast (there's a theme here) and a speed work session that I slayed, averaging a 7:50 pace for 7.5 miles, which was super exciting. 

Due to the fact that I'll be running with someone for 26.2 miles and am trying to be less of a recluse more social, I've started doing a few runs with friends per week.  As a person that really enjoys running solo - with music du jour to tune out to and to unwind and de stress - this is a tall order for me.  This week I did part of my long run with Greg, and one easy run with a buddy from the gym.  The former worked well to slow me down...the latter did not, as I picked someone that is in reality a decent amount faster than me.  Or maybe we were just showing off.  Who knows.  Either way, both runs worked out super well - I saved my shitty 80's band singing for my run with Greg, which is definitely a good thing, (sorry babe) and if gym dude decides to run with that pesky chick who won't stop talking a super fun run buddy again, I'll make sure to slate him in for a tempo run next time.  It's a leap for me, but I had a good time on both runs, so if you live near me and run - watch out - I might be asking you out an a sweaty date in the future.  Humina humina.

All in all, a great first few weeks - next week I expect to slow it down a bit more, as I return to work on Wednesday (boo), but I know that easy miles are important miles.  Repeat times a thousand.



No comments:

Post a Comment