Monday, January 21, 2019

Coffee Milk Week 5: Down with the Sickness

The best part about being stubborn is that you look at limiters and laugh.  You think, well, that doesn't really apply to be because of x, y or z.  Lack of sleep?  Whatever, I'll run.  13 hour work day?  I totally can squeeze that run in at 4am, or at SUNY Albany's running path at o dark thirty.  Kids up all night throwing up?   Snuggles, bath time, bleach myself, laundry - then it's here's your garbage can, TV show, blanket, mom's on the treadmill.  Done.

But when the mom that never gets sick spends all night in the bathroom a la post frat party circa 2003 and can't keep down crackers, decisions need to be made.  Hard ones.  The week started off with a trade off of a sick kid - from Rob to Biz - then Monday night my wonderful kids put their schooling to use and showed me they have learned how to share.  Thanks guys.  The next 24 hours were admittedly a blur of sleeping, trying to eat unsuccessfully, and putting into practice the "how to lose 5 pounds prior to your Caribbean vacation in 24 hours flat" diet.  Which, by the way, I would not recommend.

I ditched my run on Tuesday, obviously.  I stupidly did an easy 6 miler on Wednesday, when Biz got sick again and I was living off crackers.  My employee called in sick Thursday - somehow he caught my bug via osmosis....so I had to cover for him while dealing with my backlog and a pissed off funder...so I threw in speed work when I was still dangerously low on nutrients and steam.  I'm an idiot.  And I fully admit it. 

Source
Friday brought a twist of bullshit at work, a nice screaming match, an email from the teacher that included a behavioral referral recommendation, and notice of a late bill with a ridiculous interest charge (which I never, ever, do.)  All before 9am.  I did what any self respecting woman would do.  I hammered out a 6 miler at a 7:45 pace and fought the world with my own little sneakered feet.  Then I dealt with it.

Just as I thought the week would pass....Greg got sick.  Then we got a snow storm which didn't mean much except an excuse to call for a travel advisory and 2 inches of snow on the unplowed roads.  Lame, Rochester, lame.  Thankfully we have some pretty sweet neighbors we can drink alcohol with hang out with and let the kids blow off cabin fever, so it wasn't a total bust.

But it was  a week.  Between the germs in my house, work, the issues at school, and the damn weather, I am counting down the hours (108) until I am in the air on a plane to Jamaica, sans kids, with a drink in my hand and sand in my toes.  Ahhhhhh.

With that being said, the only bold leap that happened this week was I opened my mouth quite a bit when I shouldn't have.  Which should make for an interesting Director's management retreat tomorrow.....but hey, I'm not sorry.  Sometimes things need to be said, and I suppose I'd rather be the person that doesn't spew bullshit and tells it like it is.  I think.  Get back to me on that one.

Workout wise, I'm pleased.  I skipped two rides (not enough in me for 2 a days this week) and one swim due to crappy weather, but got in all my runs, and the three sessions that mattered - speed work,tempo run, and long run (which I swapped next weeks 8 miler with the planned 12 miler) all clocked in at the right pace or even faster.  To me, that's a win. 

Mileage:
Running: 40 miles
Biking: 18 miles
Swimming: 1.2 miles

On tap for week 6 is five days of Rochester running then a transition to beach runs on the sand.  And yes.  I have room in my carry on for you :)  This is the first vacation Greg and I have taken sans kids since 2012 - to say I'm excited is a huge under statement.  Yippee!!

No comments:

Post a Comment