Friday, May 2, 2014

Pass the Lager

So, with 8 short days to go, its time for my most and least favorite part of race training.  Least...the taper.  Yech.  I technically had a mini taper last week due to some foot niggles that *seem* to be resolved (crossing all crossables).  I took a week off from running and since I'm a miserable bee-yotch when I don't run, you heard nary a word fromme, but I'll fess up now.  I did alot of biking and swimming (always good when you have a half Im in two months!) and concluded that it was my new shoe.  Darn shoe.  Anyways, I bought another pair of my trusty dusty (retired) asics, and we're moving on.  Too many miles invested in this baby to quibble about shoes, right?  Right.  So this week saw about 40 miles (including the next two days), next week is....10....then a little ole 12 hour trot.  Yikes.  I'm terrified, excited, and terrified, all wrapped into one.  Hah.  I've made a bunch of new social media friends on the race page, and am thrilled to do for 12 hours what everyone in the world minus the 125 people I'm racing with think is nuts.  And in the meantime...
I'll be carb loading.  YES.  Best part of taper- over the next week, I'm supposed to steadily increase my carb intake so that by next Thursday, I'll be taking in roughly 500 grams of carbs a day (yeah, that's 2000 calories.  wows).  I've never carb loaded effectively in my life, but this is way too much stress on the ole leggos to fart around.  So just look for the chick in the compression sleeves and lulu shorts, stuffing her face in pretzels.  And pizza.  And bread.  And beer...yes that's a carb!  Ok, no beer.  But maybe a nice mix....


Carbs n Hops Bread

3 cups AP flour
1 cup ground oats
1 tbsp melted butter
1 tsp each garlic powder, thyme and rosemary
12 oz. dark beer (I used Amberbock)

Let beer set on counter to room temp (drink a few sips...to make sure it's ok....).  In a large mixing bowl, add flour, oats, and seasonings.  Add in beer, mixing well.  Cover with wax paper and towel and warm the oven to 100 degrees.  Place bowl in oven and turn off-let set to rise for 2 hours or so.  Lightly mist a bread pan with cooking spray and shape dough into loaf.  Bake at 350 for 60 minutes.  Brush with melted butter, broil for 2 minutes.  Let set for at least 30 minutes before inverting pan- voila.  Beer bread.

Excellent with soup, hummus...or sliced up warm and eaten by the slice.  What?  I'm carb loading!! :-)
Looks like Rob's enforcing the taper on all counts.  Slave driver.

Have a great weekend!!


No comments:

Post a Comment