Saturday, September 2, 2017

Maintenance

The least glamorous part, right?  Keeping it up.  The hard work.  The daily grind.  Who ever posts about such things?

Me.

Last month, alive and shiny, I started my posts with the forecast of beautiful, happy things to come.  Some I have shared, some not (no, I am not pregnant).  Then, as life does from time to time, my world came crashing down.  I won't linger, because it's private, but August pretty much has been the worst month of my life.  And so, in the interest of not clogging the inter webs up with more of my melancholy (and because, lets face it, I was too immersed in either eating Chunky Monkey or running off the stress)I didn't have the bandwidth to blog.

But (I hope) I'm back.  Somewhat tattered, but here.  And focused on maintenance.  See, here's the thing I forgot in the last few years.  You can't, in fact, have it all.  Not one little bit.  You might be at the peak of your athletic fitness, but if you aren't mommin' well, those littles are gonna grow up in a hot second.  You might be the best mom and wife in the world, but at the same time, your company is doing layoffs.  You might, in fact, have a kick ass career and a steamin' hot marriage, but those damn gourmet dinners out make it so your Seven for all mankinds well....are more like an Eleven for all mankind.

Fact.

For the last year (or 3) I've tried to have it all.  And the one piece I thought I never had a problem with...came apart.  Neglect?  Well, yeah, probably.  Because if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

No way.

Love yourself.  Love your significant other.  Love your kids.  Love your family.  Love your friends.  Enjoy your life, and don't worry too much about the small shit.  Work....well, that's gonna be there, and there's no sense killing yourself over it.

And whatever happens....pick yourself up, try not to linger on past mistakes, and go forward the best you know the hell how.

And remember the basic art of maintenance. Regular (but not every day) runs.  Time for cuddles and snuggles.  Calling a long distance friend...or meeting one for a nice long walk and talk.  Date night with your hunny.   Or a long overdue dinner with the woman that raised you.  All of this stuff we "don't have time for".....we do.  We really, really do.

Tomorrow begins fall racing season....Greg and I will be heading to Geneseo, NY to run the Oak Tree Half at my alma mater.  I can't wait.  To run through the streets and farmland where I spent a great, mostly carefree four years.  To enjoy the fact that even though adulting ain't easy, I am here.  And I have so much to be grateful for.  And to forget, for (hopefully under) two hours, any stress except the physical stress I'll remedy with a slice and a garlic knot.

And if Harvey makes an entrance?  Well, who let's a challenge get in their way?  Pretty fitting, since my chem teacher freshman year had that moniker and spent a semester trying to break me.

Nice try, Harvey.  I am woman.  Hear me roar.


3 comments:

  1. Maintenance is good. All the important stuff, none of the bullshit. Sounds like you've been having a rough go of it - keep hanging in there..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes the little things are the most important of all. Live for what is closest to your heart, because that is truly all that matters.

    ReplyDelete