Sunday, November 10, 2019

7 Days Without Running Makes One Weak

So, I'll admit right off the bat two major things about this post.

1.  I sort of stole the title for it. The inspo for most of my posts comes from songs, but since the whole brainchild behind documenting this past week in blog form was my coaches, it makes sense that I keep the momentum going by "borrowing" the title for it from his blog.  (Note: He gave me permission to do so.  Also Note:  I took seven days off.  He took eight.  He likely could have filtched a popular Beatles song to accomplish his post title, but since he's already blogged about the Beatles and doesn't take direction well, we can leave that one alone and move on.)

2.  Seven Days without running really doesn't make you weak.  It, for sure, was mentally and emotionally weakening for someone that loves it as much as I do - I not only use a run as a good workout but also as a mental and emotional stress relief.  While it's been a tough go on that end to take a break from running, I have no doubt the physical break will, in the long run, make me stronger.  So, for all intents and purposes of the title, two outta three ain't bad.  (See, you knew I had a song title in there!)

Alright, fine.  I'll back up.  So, post 2019 Tri season, you all saw the slow fall to me accepting that I probably should take an off season (Finally, she CAN be taught!).  I started out the way any normal triathlete with an exercise problem human being would - by resisting, bargaining, igoring, and finally accepting the fact that if I wanted to move forward in 2020, I needed to step back and let my body heal a bit before starting spring marathon training and Ironman training. Funny how logic works, isn't it?
Except....flip it.  I hate the damned coach.  COUCH.  I MEANT COUCH!

This past week I have tolerated embraced the idea of a true off season and taken off running and biking totally.   I haven't taken a week off from running and biking since....um....2005.  Yep, I even  biked and ran through both pregnancies and post delivery.  You got that right.  Yikes.  While my emotional and mental state are spot on for training (god I love this stuff), my body definitely needed the break.

So, in order to walk you through a week in the life, I've posted a daily recollection of my reactions to each day that formerly only existed in my Training Peaks notes. I, being a good athlete, (snorts) like to give my coach feedback about every effort that I make.  Poor guy.  During this particular week, I was given a lack of structure with specific parameters (NO RUNNING OR BIKING FOR 7 DAYS) that were worse than any Ironman peak building I've ever been through.  (AKA, I am the world's worst recoverer.  Ever.  I know.  You are all shocked).  So, in order to deflect my dissatisfaction with my whole run predicament, I reacted with bad humor that let my coach know that I was 1.  Being compliant, 2.  Not happy about it, and 3.  Trying to be a good sport.  Aside from the many eye rolls and head shaking I'm sure my training notes elicited, I have it on good authority that there were at least a few chuckles, which was my whole goal.  By Day 4, it was suggested to turn this whole week into a blog post.  I'm not sure if that was a subtle hint to leave him the hell alone or a thought that  this might be somewhat useful comical to the rest of you.  I suspect it's the former.  I'm gonna go with the latter.

So, how does one fare without an entire week of running or biking?  Well, read on for the unfiltered truth....

Sunday, November 3: Day One of no running captivity: (Workout: 1x3800ish yard swim in the pool). Legs are sore so a swim sounds good.  I know I'll never get the chance to do long pointless distances during the season, so why not.  This was either 3700 or 3800 not 4000....I lost track and my Garmin was annoyed that we weren't running so it rebelled like a teenager.  Legs appreciated the lack of work and the swim was zen and chill.  Two thumbs up. (Note:  My coach, who is a swimmer, does not condone any swim set above 200 yds continuous swimming.  This is brand new to me and is admittedly a big reason for my huge swim improvement).

Monday, November 4: Day 2 of no running captivity: (Workout: Kickboxing Class) The day starts with 3 hour budget review.  Sometimes I love my job....today is NOT one of those days.  I stare longingly at my running shoes and curse under my breath.  Must. Take. Off. Season.  I decide to blow off steam with a lunch kickboxing class.  Decide halfway through this probably wasn't what my coach had in mind but it felt great to work some new muscles and definitely helped my emotional and mental state.  Don't mess with the chick in pink gloves. (Also this was a legit core and leg workout.  Woof). πŸ€ͺ


Tuesday, November 5: Day 3 of no running captivity: (Workout: 3000 yard swim).   It's raining.  I sort of even don't want to run.  Who am I??  Arms are sore from punching a bag yesterday, but I have meetings downtown so a swim seemed wise.  Low key easy work with flip turn focus.... too bad my coach wasn't there to watch the  comedy (I look like a drunk Monkey doing these).  Swim was relaxed and easy....I feel slightly guilty about the obviously non coach approved lack of structure to my swims but counter that they are emotionally and mentally relaxing and physically a form of active recovery while resting my legs.  Does he buy it?  Likely not, but he's probably amused by my feedback on the effort in my Training Peak notes.  My work here is done.

Wednesday, November 6: Day 4 of no running captivity: (Workout: Workout DVD)....This sucks.  It's gorgeous out.  My running shoes stare at me from the corner and dare me to break protocol.  It's tempting, but not worth the risks.  I pop in a Jillian Michael's Shred DVD that hasn't been opened since 2009 and do a stupid workout.  Starting to miss my bike.  Who am I???  Workout went fine, some plyometrics, kickboxing and ab work.  Uninspired.  Whatever. πŸ™ƒ



Thursday, November 7: Day 5 of no running captivity: (Workout: Strength/Cardio at the Y)  I hate the elliptical.  It's stupid.  I hate rowing.  See two sentences earlier.  I might in fact be losing my will to live (Sarcasm or no?  You decide). It's pretty out.  My legs hurt.  They should be running.  At this point, I'd even ride my bike.  In aero.  Outside. In the 30 degree weather. Wtf. Lifting was actually good in case you (my coach) wanted something useful here.  I went lighter weights as it's been awhile and higher reps.  Did the full body circuit minus abs. I still would rather be running.

Running shoes without tights/shorts.  That's what's wrong with this picture
Friday, November 8: (Workout: 3 mile walk/2300 yds in the pool). Day 6 of no run captivity: I have recorded. A. Fucking. Walk.  What is wrong with me???  My running shoes sit in a corner, confused by what they did to cause me to abandon them. I try to feed them a Reese's peanut butter cup to show them I still love them.  It doesn't work.  Disgusted, I eat it and then curse about the counterproductive nature of such a move.  At least I got to swim today.  (Which was actually decent, as I focused on 100s instead of 1000s.  I might be coming around on that short distance thing). 40 hours until freedom.....post workout, I grouse about my grounded state and my buddy helpfully mentions he saw my running shoes on ebay, looking for a mate.  The auction ends in 39 hours and he put a bid on them.  I never liked him anyways.

Saturday, November 9: Day 7 of no running captivity: I decide on one more pointless swim before I'm restricted to 200/yd or less at a go.  20 minutes in I finally acquiesce and realize....my coach is right.  Long swims are dumb.  My watch agrees and craps out after 1600 yards.  I debate stopping but still have that magical idea  that in order to count, all workouts must be 45 minutes or more. (Again, I'm not that bright).  I work on flip turns....uh....most of the time.
Post Swim, I line up my run gear for tomorrow much like a kid leaving out milk and cookies for santa on Christmas Eve. Tomorrow's the big day!!! πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

Sunday, November 10th.  



1 comment: