Monday, July 8, 2019

Damage Calculator: Rob is 6!

So, anyone keeping track knows I owe you a race report, but we have way more important things to discuss than "tri eff one" as Rob calls it.  More specifically, my little (ok, not so little) monster, who turned 6 three days ago!  Where has the time gone??  Although we have turned this more into a racing and training blog, I can't skip over the original intent of the blog, which was literally to talk about how to "tri" for balance - between sport, family, mental health, friends, and in general, life.  A big part of my life is my kiddos, and this past week has been largely about my son, who had the nerve to turn 6 (seriously, can he stop growing??) I'm not sure how this happened, though he's explained to me sevral times that people do, in fact grow up.  (Stop it, buddy).  Every year about this time I look back at the past birthdays....when Rob was born...One...Two...Three...Four.......five....and now the big 6!!!  And, as we do every year, it's time to look at all the super cool things about my buddy, my "Ro Bear", the kid that made me MOM!!



 Size: 43 pounds.  Right in the middle of where you should be - you are 47" inches high, and full of so much power it isn't even funny!  Keep eating those veggies, dude, you are rockin' it in terms of growing!  (And Mommy's grocery bill knows it!)

Likes: Well, we still have a love of all things Cars - that never went away!  This year you added science to the mix - the solar system fascinates you, and you entered this years science fair with a working model of the 8 main planets and the 7 dwarf planets, complete with moon counts and the Kuiper belt.  You even schooled us on the location of one of the dwarf planets - such a smart guy!  You also love to swim, run and bike, and have entered your first triathlon this fall (or, Tri eff one, as you call them!)  We can't wait to watch you rock it.  You LOVE pokemon, pikachu, and all theings related - you want to know how much damage each character does in battle and have become a math whiz by inadvertently learning how to add and subtract this way.  You love Cuphead, Forza, dance parties, and are starting soccer this summer.  Your best buddies are Connor, Ethan, Hailey and Olivia - between school and block parties, you love hanging out with your pals anytime you can!  You still love music - mostly high energy stuff, but you have been belting out "Sweet But Psycho" a lot lately (I'm such a good parent) and still know all the words to "1000 Years" and ask Mommy to sing it to you every night.  You are such a sweet snuggle.

Dislikes: Jury is still out in terms of school.  There are parts you love and parts you hate - probably the same for most kids.  You hate getting up early, breakfast (what are you, a teenager??).  You still have a love hate relationship with Biz (totes normal).  You are a stubborn guy, just like your mom, and can get really reactive when you don't want to do something or it doesn't fit your parameters.  Someday, this might make you a powerful leader.  Right now, we are concentrating on making it to first grade alive.  One step at a time :-)

Sleep: Seems this might be the year for nightmares and sleep walking.  Aww, my little dude, you are such a champ everywhere, but sleeping is just not your thing.  We keep working on it and you are getting better every year!

Eating: You still love pizza like no tomorrow, and broccoli is still your fave veggie.  You chow down on pretty much everything, to be honest - you adore rice and beans, ice cream cones, and can basically eat a whole watermelon by yourself.  Super star!


Milestones/Firsts: Kindergarten!  Learning to read to 1st grade level.  Riding a bike without training wheels.  Learning to swim and float on your back.  You can also add, subtract, and even are starting to learn multiplication!  You have some basic Spanish and are working on that with Daddy and "Senor".  You know basically everything about the Solar System and toss around big words like no tomorrow.  My smart dude.  


Best Moment: Watching you step on the school bus for your first day of kindergarten.  Watching you fly off on two wheels.  Watching you as you get your science fair award.  Big hugs and snuggles before bed.  Running races with you to see who is faster.  Listening to you tell me all about cars - and telling me how much horsepower each car has and how many "lambos" you will be owning.  Teaching you about music.  And life.  And watching you absorb everything around you with such wonder and wisdom.  Still having the wonderful "little boy" and mommy time before bed, where we snuggle, talk about your dreams, and you give me the biggest squeeze and a smooch and tell me how much you love me.  Me too, buddy, me too.  Always and forever. 


Looking Forward To: Your first race, watching you play soccer, first grade, and every first that comes along with you!  I also cherish those small moments....sharing an ice cream cone, playing catch, cannonballs in the pool, and bedtime stories.  I never want to miss any of it, my Ro-Bear.  You made me a mommy and I love you so much, every single day!!


1 comment: