Thursday, June 20, 2019

With a Little Help From My Friends

So, I did a thing.

As most of my posts have been starting this year, you can deduce that this thing has something to do with racing and is equal parts fun and crazy.  And probably not the brightest thing one can do.

But hey, who said I was sane?  (Literally no one has said this about me.  Ever.).

Off of the high of Keuka, I decided it would be a brilliant plan to add another race to my 2019 Tri season for a few reasons.  1.  I had a good first race.  2.  If this is do or die year, I need to do it live, and 3.  I am highly susceptible to suggestion....and have been hanging out with some pretty bad amazing influences (more on this later).

Armed with all of this  knowledge, I decided it would be wise to sign up for a race to set a litmus for my "A" race in September - Barrelman Half Ironman, on September 22.  I have real goals for this race - not quite ready to make them public, but suffice to say that my old Half Iron PR of 6:32 will be decimated if I have anything to do with it.  I've only done five Half Irons in my life....and all in the same spot - Musselman in Geneva.  It was a great first Half in 2008 (with epic Thunderstorms) a great twofer in 2009 where I won a wetsuit ( I did double mussel, which is a sprint Saturday and the Half Sunday), blistering heat in 2011 (which, ridiculously, was my PR), a free entry in 2012 because sometimes I get great ideas during my swims and win contests, and a "why the hell not" race with little prep post first kid in 2014.  The funny part is, aside from the shit show of 2009, I've finished every one of these races between 6:32 and 6:42, no matter what the training.  But as it seems to be the theme of this year, since I haven't done a 70.3 in five years,  I signed up for one, but in a new venue, thinking it might help break the Musselman curse.

Unless, ya know, I decided to do something dumb like sign up for Musselman as a litmus race right now- a half iron on July 13th gives me 3.5 weeks to train....what could possibly go wrong? (everything).  That would be dumb.  My longest ride to date had been 36 miles, and I have so little volume on the bike, who would do this?

(Waves hello).  Yep.  I did a thing.  I did do a few testers first though.  This idea started percolating last week post Keuka, and I decided that if I could pull off an outdoor ride on my own - which I've literally not done in ten years...(23 miles - check) and a 50 mile ride on the trainer (check) without dying, I would sign up.  One of my friends needed to defer her entry, so this would be the third bib transfer of 2019, which also might be my theme of the year.  Anyone else unable to do a race and want to unload?  I'm on a roll!

I'm probably a lot little idiotic to sign up for this race.  I've never had a good race at Musselman, whether its thunderstorms, temps over a hundred degrees, or getting kicked in the head during the swim and blacking out.  Little things like that.  But hey, if this is the year to slay the dragons, I think I should slay them all, and hopefully it will give me some indicators for my A race in September.

I have no illusions of pulling out the greatest race ever.  But I might have caught the tri bug this year, and aside from my own resolutions to chase those big scary goals this year, there are three reasons why I've turned into a tri fanatic.

The Banter.
The Boy.
The Outlaw.
The Banter, me and The Boy. 
(This is a huge deal to get The Banter in a  selfie.  I even won a bet)
I suppose its time I talk about "the family".  I've talked about my own introvertedness quite a bit on this blog, and for the last fourteen years of racing, I've happily trained on my own.  I like to think on the run.  I like to tune out during my swims.  And the concept of group riding...well, I'm sorry, do you even know me?  We all know I tapped into some epic talent to train for my spring runs and made a few great running buddies, but with tri season upon me, the winter run base training was no longer my focus.  Time to get back to that solo training.  Famous last words.

Enter The Banter.  I've blogged enough about this dude that he really needs no intro, except for the fact that he totally took me under his wing, brought me into his little tri family, and made me feel welcome in all his sarcastic, pain in the ass glory.  (Just kidding.  No, I'm not). 

The Banter pals around with The Boy, who has also made an appearance on the blog - he's a local friend that has started swimming with us and also has started inviting me on his long runs, which is the best place to develop a friendship.  You learn way the hell more than you ever thought possible when running with someone at 5am.  Trust me.  And I already adore the hell out of him.

The last member of the family is the The Outlaw, who isn't local, but much like an Outlaw, graces us with his presence from time to time before stealing away into the night to cause a ruckus somewhere in PA, where he hails. 

The three of these guys are hands down the best thing that's happened to me this season. They are legit athletes who regularly podium, and are freaking hilarious and fun to hang out with. I swim once or twice a week with The Banter and The Boy, and its a great mix of hard work, bad humor, and hotness in spandex work on good form.  Both guys swam in college and know their stuff.  I humbly try to pick up whatever bone they throw me.  (And they do.  They are all teachers, which means they love to order people around dispense nuggets of wisdom.)

I've run with all three guys - The Banter for a few tempo and long runs, The Boy for long runs, and The Outlaw for a recovery run. Thankfully, I can pretend to hang for this sport, and I've learned the fine art of pacing and the importance of recovery pace from these guys as well. 
My best rendition of the Outlaw.  He likes pink, but is tough to catch.  Sorry.

Still, I held out for the bike.  We all know what a neophyte I am at the bike, and the idea of riding with these guys terrified me.  Well, this week they finally wore me down. After being ordered asked nicely,  I joined The Banter and The Boy for a ride in Webster, where despite explaining in great detail my fear of aero, the small chain ring, and assuring them that that I might, in fact, tip over while clipping in....they haven't disowned me yet. (I'm pretty sure they both passed out laughing, though). We did an easy-ish 16 mile ride with minimal lecturing and aside from the fact that I "have a lot of work to do" (we knew this) and it was a huge step for me in getting the f*ck over myself.  Even though these guys are great, they don't hesitate to push the pace or go whizzing by in aero without warning me downhill (I want to be them when I grow up.  I'm just saying).  I even capped the ride off with a bit of wobbly aero riding on the Banter's private drive, which, again, I KNOW IT'S DUMB, but was huge for me. 

I'm proud to say that as of June 20th, I've ridden outside more this year than in the last two years combined, and if The Banter has any indication on being right about anything (he likes to think he usually is) that there is some "major untapped talent" in this biker and if I learn to use my beautiful, neglected bike the way it was intended, perhaps there is some hope for me this year on the tri circuit.

So thank the boys for this newest "thing I did", because they are all racing Musselman, and if my friends jumped off a cliff, would I?
Me and the boy, post 5am run.  We encourage terrible life choices and its great.

I don't know.  Is there a finishers medal and bragging rights?  Cause, yeah.  Probably.  I'm in.  Let's do it!

So thanks boys, for bringing me into your crazy little group and being a great mix of friend, pain in the ass, and encouragement for me to be the best I can be. Somehow (actually not somehow, there is a story and I'm not telling it on a family blog), I've been graced with the nickname "Pants" which means a few things....they must like me, because no one goes by their real name in this little family.  And apparently, I'll now be known as "Pants" until I'm about 86.  I'm good with this.

Big, Scary Goals.  So much better with friends.  What the hell have I been doing for fourteen years?  Watch out Geneva, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment