Sunday, July 21, 2019

Musselman 2019: I'm the Bad Guy


Well, hey there party people!  When we last left our hero (Um, I think that's me) she was about to take on a last minute 70.3 - Musselman, the everlasting evil race that I love to hate - the actual race is awesome, but between weather, bad decisions, and GI distress, I have never been able to pull off a good race execution.  Oddly enough, it represented 5/5 of my half Ironman attempts, with a 6:33 PR, back in 2011 (yikes),  so I did at least sign up for Barrelman for 2019, a half iron in September to break the damned streak and hopefully break 6 hours at the distance.  But as I've said in previous posts, I signed up for Musselman this year on a whim, as my buddies were doing it, I was sort of trained (swim and run, yes, bike, no) and honestly....I knew a good race at Musselman would allow me to set some good benchmark goals for Barrelman (my true A race for the reason) on September 22.

Famous last words, right?  The week before the race, I set a few tentative goals - I really had no idea what to expect.  I shot for a 6:10 - :38 swim (PR :40), 3:15 bike (PR 3:22) and a 2:10 run (PR 2:10).  I knew I could run faster if I rode smart, but since I had only ridden up to 44 miles and had done no substantial bricks....or practiced any sort of 70.3 nutrition...these goals felt safe.  Add in transitions, and a 6:10 was wise. (I did have the super secret goal of going under 6 hours, but didn't want to get greedy).  I shared my goals with my training buddies and Greg, who were pretty quiet about it and offered almost no thoughts on the matter (this isn't like them.  At all.  Shrugs).

The week of the race I rode outside as much as possible, took it easy on the run, and hit up mini mussel sprint tri the day before the race to cheer on Greg and the Reapers with the kiddos (we are the best sherpas)...picked up my packet, and headed home to race prep.

You know you smiled.  Admit it.
Race morning dawned not so god awful early - I caught a ride to the race with the Banter, who likes about 5 minutes in transition to prep.  I like a solid 90 minutes, so we agreed 30 minutes was sufficient.  I body marked, sunscreened, chipped, and got myself as ready as possible at home and he swung by to pick me up at 5:15.

Man I look amped.
We arrived at the race about 6:15, and pumped up our tires and headed into transition.  I set my stuff up with little fanfare, used the potty, said hello to our buddies - and a Happy Birthday to Matt!
Marcus, me, Maria, Matt (The Boy) and Ryan (The Outlaw)
After my initial set up, I ran through my final checklist - one of the fun little touches of this race is they ask you when you register for a motivational phrase that they hope you'll forget (which didn't work for me as I registered 3 weeks ago, but it's still a cool thought).  Apparently I decided to carry that "Big Scary Goals" theme and in case I forgot my real name was "Pants", I was good to go.
 I also found a super awesome inspo note that Greg slipped into my tri bag - since he was staying home with the kids, he wanted to give me his own little pep talk.  God I love that man!

As I did a double check to ensure my bike computer worked and my gears were where I wanted them, I discovered two things.  1 - my bike computer did not work at all,  and 2 - my back wheel was rubbing.  With about 2 minutes left in transition, I couldn't decide whether to cry or to try to grow up and solve the issue.  I gave it the ole college try - ignored the bike computer (which would be the second failure in two big races - Ironman Lake Placid and now...apparently the thought over a 3 hour plus ride freaked it out) and worked on the wheel.  Nothing.  So I did what I usually do when I can't figure out shit on my own - I found The Banter, who has saved my ass multiple times in the 9 months I have known him - he diagnosed the wheel as slightly misaligned, fixed it in about a minute, and wisely left my bike computer alone.  He is amazing and I do not deserve him - with that being said, I know now that 30 minutes in transition is not enough for this hyped up pre-race Rae and I'll likely either promise him a bigger bottle of wine next time or drive myself.

At this point is was 6:50 and I was slated to go off in 15 minutes....I literally ran to the water, wriggled into my wetsuit, stood by for the anthem, gave a few high fives, and did a super quick dunk in the water as they were calling my corral in.  I'm not sure if the lack of time freaked me out (I felt so not ready to race) or actually did good to get out of my own head space, but either way, it was time to FREAKING JUST GO!!

Swim:  37:34 (1:42/100) - actual distance swam 2189 yd (I suck at sighting)
My wave went off second of 6 waves - the swim for this race is a sort of rectangle out to Seneca Lake, ending in a canal for the last half mile.  The water was an absolutely perfect at 74 degrees - the biggest issue is the first 200 yards of the swim are about knee deep - so you either dolphin dive, run, or swim super shallow.  I've always chosen option A or B, but to save my legs, when the gun sounded, I dove right in and started swimming.  The out was a bit choppy, but not too bad.  I leapfrogged with a few women, and then settled in, as usual, to my own rhythm and lonely swimming about 10 minutes in.  I had a few issues spotting due to sun on the second turn, but I really don't have much to say about the swim except I honestly never felt like I was racing.  It was a nice, easy OWS that could have been a training day.  My watch is set to beep every 500yd and every 10 minutes (I really need to fix this, as I never remember which is which), so I had no idea about my time until I exited the water and looked down - a 37 minute swim was exactly on par, and I was super happy about it!  I ran into T1 with a smile on my race and ready to rock the bike - my true test of the day.

Bike:  3:05:11 (18.5 mph) - 57.11 actual distance cycled
Ahh, the bike.  I ran out of T1, mounted and rode off with little fanfare, and set out for my 56 (57) mile trek.  Oddly enough, I had no mental block going into this ride - usually I start to freak out about halfway through the swim, but I was actually looking forward to it!  I really think my increase in riding outdoors and outside my comfort zone have helped here.  I spun out easy for the first 20 miles, which are false flats, but with the wind at out back, averaged about 19.5, which was way over my goal of 17.5.  I'll take it.  I was on a time race not only with myself, but with The Banter - who started 25 minutes behind me - he is a faster athlete than I am, so this wasn't a true race, but my goal was to hold him off as long as possible (I gave him 10 minutes on the swim and about 3mph faster than me on the bike, so I figured I'd see him at mile 25 - 30 if I was lucky).  At mile 20 we turned onto a main road where you can fly - oh, wait, and there was the wind!  Shit.  We had a pretty decent cross wind at this turn, and with the traffic, I started to lose it a little bit.  I remembered all my outdoor riding techniques in the wind, but admittedly let a little bit get to my head, and burned a few matches from mile 20-28.  I passed a guy wearing nothing but an old school speedo, which was impressive and hilarious, and got a random song stuck in my head that would stay there for the rest of the race - Billie Eilish's "Bad Guy".  Which is a horrible song, but had a great cadence beat to it....I kept repeating to myself "I'm a Bad Guy....I'm Only Good at Being Bad"...(I don't know, perhaps this was to convince myself of my inner badness?)

We finally turned off the stupid wind road (that's its new name, I made it up, but it works) about mile 28, and had a nice easy, fast spin across to the next lake, with a great downhill that I DID NOT BRAKE FOR (Score!) and then turned on to shitty windy road 2.  I think I finally changed gears here (Yes, I know.  I need bike work.  I think "train wreck" really applies to my whole bike ability and we are assessing one car at a time) and slowed quite a bit on this split, averaging about 17.5.  I was still about 18.5-19mph overall at this point, according to my shitty watch math, as I had no basis for my ongoing speed or speed at any time unless I looked at my watch.  SMH.  Mile 30ish offered the only real climb on the bike, with a right turn and then a sharp uphill that tapered off for a half mile.  I did shift into my easiest gear on the big chain ring (guys, I KNOW) and motored up the hill, undoubtedly a stupid move but hey, it worked.

 The next 10 miles were a mental game - with the wind and the terrain, it was a slower go, but I had the benefit of experience and knew we would have a turn soon, so I took the time to actually shift into an easy gear, take in nutrition, and spin it out.  We turned onto a super busy road about mile 37, and my second mental block of the day - once again it was a stupid cross wind and I found myself gripping my bars trying not to lose my shit.  Thankfully it was a short stretch, and we got another beautiful windless descent at mile 40, where the Banter finally zoomed past me yelling "FINALLY!" (scaring the shit out of me, but I tried to recover and yelled something resembling encouragement, which apparently was terrifying and snarlish in it's execution.  Whoops).  Another great descent to mile 44 (no brakes, yay!) and we hit Sampson State park, which is great with the fact that it has no traffic at all, but the trail is half grass, half stones, and half gravel (yep, you read that right) so its a 5 mile stretch of bumpy ride, praying for no flats, and leapfrogging bikers.  We turned back on to the main road about mile 50, and the last 6 (7) miles of the ride were sort of a struggle - I ran out of nutrition and water at mile 51 (this was totally my fault and I need to learn to take a bottle hand off), and the winds from mile 53 on were headwinds which was just punishment at this point.  I had thought I might go under 3 hours for the ride, but I remembered it was a long course and not to push it too much at the cost of the run.  I rolled into T2 at 3:05, and nailed my epic flying dismount i had been practicing for ages.

Oh, wait.  That's not my race report, that was a fantasy.  Whoops.  I rolled into T2, got my right foot stuck unclipping, and completely fell on my ass. Checked to make sure it got on camera (it did - and video - thanks guys!), looked down for injuries, nada, hit lap on my watch, and ran into transition, where I spent way the hell too long looking for my damned spot (I need better markers).

OH!  BTW, ICYMI:



Oh yeah.  They got that on film.  Note that I am super amped about this being caught on camera.  I still crack myself up when I watch it.  Sorry, Banter.  I know.  I know. I'll work on it.

Run: 1:47:48 (8:06)
And now...IT WAS TIME TO DANCE! You'll see from the spoiler above that I need to stop setting my own run goals (I was off by 23 minutes WTF), but this one is totally worth discussing in more detail.  I ran out of T2 nutritionally depleted, so I slammed water and a gel, and threw on my race number and visor.  I flashed a thumbs up to our appropriately concerned teammates who now know how much I suck on the bike, and assured them that I was totally cool now that I was on my own two feet.  My legs felt crappy, as they always do off the bike, but I looked at my watch for overall time (3:49 with transitions) and knew that if I could pull off a 2:10 half, I would go under 6 hours - YESS!)  I decided to run the first 6 miles at about a 9 minute mile, then reassess after the stupid hill that no one runs at mile 7.  Yeah.  That worked until I hit mile one in 7:32.  Whoops.  I quickly devised a strategy of easy run to aid station, dump ice down my bra, take in water and every other station a gel, repeat.  Miles 2 and 3 clocked in at just over 8 minute mile, then the first unrunnable hill at mile 3 slowed that split to an 8:30.  I felt conflicted - I was working, yes, but I was so damned happy and felt good at the pace, so I continued to click off the miles at about an 8-8:15, too fast for me but hey, I now figured if I could go under 2 hours for the run, I might hit 5:50 for a finish time, which was something i had not even considered.

 I made a new running buddy at mile 4, Offo, who was my resident 45-54 year old dude that I always connect with during a race (seriously, this happens 75% of the time on long course - marathons, half ironmans, ironman - I seem to find a random dude in this age group and make a bestie while we run together).  Offo and I lasted until about mile 6.5, when i determined his pace was just slightly fast for me (though we did find each other again at mile 9 for 3 miles - thanks Offo!) At mile 6.5 I turned onto Stupid Hill Rd Barracks Hill Rd, which is the one part of the course that's about a half mile long stone path of unrunnable rocky crap.  I channeled my inner "Bad Guy" (yep, I had this song stuck in my head for about 4 hours) and tried to run until the steep part of the hill.  Up ahead I saw a familiar ass race kit - it was the Banter!  I had no expectations of catching him on the run (remember - he still had 25 minutes on me as I started first, so this had little bearing on our overall finish - he still dusted me).  I caught up with him and chatted for about a minute, where he praised me on having a fantastic race - I told him I was gonna bust that 6 hour mark and he yelled after me "Never doubted it!".  Onward.  I picked it back up to run and passed another tri buddy, Marcus, who wasn't having the best race but certainly powering through it - I tried to give him some encouragement - hopefully it worked.

As I reached mile 8, I knew the rest of the course was flat or downhill, and I began to tick off the miles at roughly an 8 minute mile."I'm a bad guy....(yes, song still stuck)"  I tracked down one woman at mile 9 I had been eyeing for several miles only to find out from her she was running the relay - she told me I looked ridiculously strong and too happy (seriously, people, its possible to go fast and be happy) and encouraged me on.  There was one more small hill at mile 10 - I looked at my watch and realized at that I could likely go under 5:40 if I pulled out 9 minute miles. WTF. I thought about my previous track record with the ":40's" - trying to go under 3:40 at the marathon (so close).  Trying to go under 1:40 at the half marathon distance (within spitting distance) and trying to go under 2:40 at the Oly distance (totally did it).  It seems as if this was a theme for the year, and now that we'd moved beyond the 6:10, to the 6:00, to the 5:50, to the 5:45 I thought....hell...why not go big or go home.  Sub 5:40, baby!

Was I tired?  Absolutely.  But at this point in the race, a feeling I can only describe as ebullient came over me.  The last 3 miles were a blur of random aid station jokes (I'm pretty sure I asked for prime rib and beer at one, joking, which is ridiculous since I like neither).  I ticked off miles 11, 12 and 13 all under an 8 minute mile (yes, I either even split or negative split this half, with no mile over 8:57, even the ones with walking).  With .4 to go, I saw my buddies at the finish line.  Matt, who has become a close friend and frequent training buddy, yelled out so much encouragement and how I looked amazing! (I love the way you lie, Matt), Maria, who is one of the best girlfriends I could ask for, and all the reapers spectating.  I got the tingles, guys.  I haven't felt that way since Ironman Lake Placid 2010.  I was overwhelmed with emotion, and almost crying with happiness.  I ran the last bit into the finish line for an overall time of 5:36:15, which was insanely beyond any time goal I had and a whopping 57 minutes off my best time ever.
Post Race
 After I finished, I walked around in a post race haze of giddiness and shock.  I headed over to hang out with Matt and Ryan  to cheer in Gary, who finished shortly after I did.  Matt ended up netting a nice PR (what a great birthday present!) and an AG award, and Ryan finished 11th overall.  I managed 4th place in my AG and 18th woman out of 166, which, for having 3 pros in the race, shocked the hell out of me.  I also netted the 7th fastest half marathon time for the women's race, which is just unreal.  I have no idea what to do with that.  

Birthday boy and I celebrating our new PR's!
 After everyone finished, we settled in for some post race food, bad jokes and reaper fun.  I got to hang out with some people I'd only met through Facebook, and was happy to know that they are just as raunchy and fun as the reapers I know and love.
Non selfie with Matt Kellman.  I know.  I'm also shocked. 
 We stuck around to watch Matt, Ryan and the rest of the Reapers get their awards. Musselman, in their infinite wisdom decided to pair the theme of grilling with the standard bottle of vino.  Of course, the guys knew exactly how to handle such an award.
2/3 of my training crew.  This makes sense now, right? 
After the awards, the epic day of Musselman 2019 was over - we headed home a sunburned, tired, and (in my case at least) an ecstatic mess.

And now what?  Well, obviously my goals of going sub 6 hours at Barrelman are moot.  I talked to Gary (um, he's The Banter in case I've never referred to him by name), Greg and Ryan and all three basically said they thought I was going to shake out about 5:40-5:50, which explains why they had no comment on my lame ass 6:10 goal.  It's time to reassess for Barrelman - I have some tentative goals - and they aren't go under 6 hours.  Or 5:30.  They are now way more aggressive.  We will see as it gets closer - I have 9 weeks to work on these big scary goals!

It's also time to step back and re look at myself as an athlete.  The whole theory of my untapped talent, which seemed foreign to me, might have merit.  I've landed some major PR's this year, not by minutes but by ridiculous amounts.  Part of that is my mental game, part of that is my team, and part of it is listening to wisdom imparted by said team.  And, you guessed it.  I finally (who had the over under for July?) hired The Banter as my coach.  I'm ridiculously amped to begin working with him, though I feel sorry for the man - he might regret taking me on (whoops, sorry Banter).  

 I'm turning off the limiters.  Time to learn how to bike correctly.  To fix my swim form.  To hone my run.  And to have a blast doing it.  Lastly, I had to take care of a little business on the ole blog race page....




 Much better.  Barrelman 2019 - here I come!  (Well, after a few races.  Including a 5k next weekend.  Stay tuned.  That's gonna be a fun read, as I haven't raced one since 2017.)  Hey, why not?? Gotta go get those....you guessed it....BIG SCARY GOALS!

1 comment: