Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Platform 9 (not 3/4)

Once in awhile, I make good on this whole premise of balance on the blog.  I have so many good intentions, and you know what they say about that.  And while I may be a work in progress, once area I always want that balance on is these wonderful goofballs I call my kiddos.  Somehow, in the midst of life, my firstborn has crept into the last year of single digits (OMG) and turned nine! 

This kid....is just amazing.  He made me a parent and for the past nine years has been keeping me  on my toes, whether its a bike ride, getting Rick rolled, or the latest obsession of calling me boomer (hold on while I grab my cane, apparently I need it!).  He's funny, crazy smart, and marches to the beat of his own drum.  And I've loved him since the moment I knew he was just a lil turd...since he was born...One...Two...Three...Four.......five....six......seven...eight...



And now...he's nine!!!

Size:
 65 pounds, 54 inches tall. Still smack in the middle of the bell curve, and applying the level of balance that most boys seem to acheive by eating ALL THE THINGS and moving ALL THE TIME.  You still absolutely adore healthy food, and are just as likely to eat four applies in a row as you are to polish off a bag of takis (I seriously need to get a second job to feed you) and your level of running and biking absolutely balances out the level of food you put down! 

Likes:  Your bike (this is absolutely an ongoing thing, and I love it!)  You love going for rides with mom and are getting so good at the "rules of the road", including hand signaling, stopping, and riding the shoulder (yeah, you're probably better than me).  Legos.  You are a master at them, including the ones "above your age" and love a challenge. Harry Potter (hence the title!)  You are working on the books and movies and cast spells all over the place (only the good ones, thank goodness!)  Running!  You love it and even
joined the elementary Cross Country club this year!  You love music - your guitar, Rock Band, and making videos.  Computers are still a huge thing, and you've moved on to programming and creating games, animation, and so many cool things.  You are a whiz and I am so proud of you!!

Dislikes: Open ended word problems.  Showing your work in math.  (I don't blame you, kid).  Bugs are still a thing.  And the jury is still out on your sister - its a love hat thing.  Congrats, kiddo, you're a full fledged big brother.  And even though its 100% a fly by the moment thing if you two are giggling or screaming, it keeps Mom on her toes and I wouldn't have it any other way!

Sleep: Nine years later, I can say we have FINALLY mastered this one, and while you are still mostly an early bird, you sleep like a champ and are down to rock it solo!  You have absolutely moved on to the "my stomach hurts" and "I have a random boo boo on my left toe that's invisible" and "I'm starving" right at lights out, so again, well done - you have mastered the art of kid bullshit at bedtime.  Really, hats off to you.  Now go the f*ck to sleep. 

EatingAll of it.  Every single bite.  Apples and broccoli are still a fave, thank goodness!  You can house four slices of pizza, you LOVE Chinese food and request teriyaki noodles all the time, and you
love takis, peanuts, and corn dogs (ew).  Tacos are totally a thing, but only on Tuesdays (thank you mainstream media!!) Either way, your appetite is super on point, and you are not afraid to try new food at any time (sushi, anyone?)

Milestones/Firsts: First sleepover, which was really exciting for you and you rocked it with your friend Gianni!  You joined your first school sport - Ridge Runners, which you LOVED and did a fall an spring season of!  You broke your first bone - poor kid - on the monkey bars at school, which was a bang up double fracture and you absolutely handled the whole thing like a pro!!  You went on your first roller coaster - the Jack Rabbit - and absolutely LOVED it (even though it took a little cajoling on our part, once you threw your hands up in the air you were a fan and wanted to go on it multiple times!!)  I say this every year, but just watching you enjoy the ride of life is so cool to watch, buddy.  I love being there as you experience all of these firsts!  (except for the broken bone.  We could just never do that one again and it would be totally fine).  

Looking Forward To: Your first triathlon (we have been waiting for this one for a few years because
of silly COVID and THIS IS THE YEAR!).  More firsts are always so exciting, but as the years pass, I find myself falling in love with the everyday beautiful moments that I know will be gone all too soon - the nighttime snuggles, the hugs, the carpet picnics, and the walks we take where you slip your (not so little) hand in mine and look at me like I'm the greatest thing in the world.  And while I know, as you grow, your world will expand, and I won't be the center of it any more - as it should be.  And while that will absolutely be sad on some level, a bigger part of me remembers that its so important to embrace the good times and focus on those - while you don't fit in my arms anymore and we are approaching the end of the days where I can lift you up and whirl you around - you and I can now go on bike rides and talk about things we never could before.  Enjoy a run together.  And sit while YOU read ME a book!  And dude....that's what its all about.  Thank you for making me a mom and giving me a front row seat as you navigate the wild ride of life.  I LOVE YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment