Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Kind of a Big Dill

Alright.  Enough is enough.  I started to write another deep blog post about fear and the concept of inertia in one's life...almost hit publish, then realized that there are way to many of these pithy posts lately, and with most of my friend circle in the same batch of emotional turmoil that I am in (injury, work, weather....just name it, 99% of the people in my world need a million dollars and a perma vacation at the beach).

Well, I'm sorry to say I don't have the winning lotto ticket.  And while the sun is FINALLY shining in NY, it's still too cold (even with a wetsuit) to hit the open water.  But it's not too early to crack your beverage of choice and fire up the grill.  And really, what says winner winner better than chicken dinner?

Admit it.  You missed my puns.

Back in the day, I used to have a nifty little recipe section of this blog I updated more than once in a blue moon, full of "I can't gourmet cook but I'm sure trying to be creative" recipes.  Lately, I've totally let that go in favor of running and bitching posts.  I can't promise a return to it, but I'll try anything once!  (Stop it.  Really).

Well, Tops had chicken drumsticks on sale.  I'm not a dark meat girl, but seeing as I have a problem with Iron deficiency (no, that was not a 140.6 joke), I decided to forgo my usual chicken breast and go for the drummies.  I ran out my usual marinade, so I had to go searching for a viable substitute.

Enter pickle juice.  Ahhh, pickles.  You are amazing.  As an endurance athlete that has a real thing for salt, I adore my pickles.  So does everyone else in the house.  So it's not that abnormal to run across a sad jar of pickle juice in the fridge without any pickles in it.  I've sliced up onions, carrots and cukes (yes, I know, thats what a pickle is) and stuck them in the pickle juice for tasty treats...but I figured the pickly goodness would be even more epic as a marinade.

So I did what I do best.  I threw random shit in a container and called it a creation


The Marinade:  (for 8 chicken drumsticks)

2 cups pickle juice
2 tbsp garlic salt
1 tbsp black pepper
2 tbsp brown sugar

I had a picture here of 8 naked chicken drumsticks in a bowl.  I deleted it, because frankly, it looked gross.  Use your imagination.  Put that chick in a bowl, cover it with the marinade, put the lid on, and shake it with what yo mama gave you up.

Stick it in the fridge for 4 hours, giving it a flip turn every half hour or so, or whenever you happen to pass by the fridge. 

Grill those beautiful babies on the grill until they become golden brown.  If you're afraid of the grill like I am, bribe someone braver with beer and do the corn and side dishes  inside (Cause who grills out without corn on the cob?)

Delicious.  
A slight tang, some sweetness from the brown sugar, and a nice bite from that pickly goodness.



And that, my friends, is a big ole welcome to Summer 2019.  Chicken on the grill, a nice cold beverage, and some corny goodness.
Thanks.  I'll be here all week.  (And you're welcome, as this was loads better than my last "I'm tapering and whining post" from my last taper session!)

No comments:

Post a Comment