Sunday, December 18, 2022

God Blessed Texas - Ironman 2023!

 Happy New Year!

Alright, not really.  While we still have two weeks for all that new year, new me jazz - I'm kicking it off tomorrow - when the official 2023 training season begins!  

While I still have a recap of 2022 in process (yeah, we can still give that thirteen days to shake out, because if I've learned one thing this year, it's to expect the unexpected!), December 19th is my new year in terms of 2023 goals.

And, as per the norm, it's looking a lot different than I thought it would.  One year ago, I mapped out my 2022 season - a redemption at Ironman, a few short races for fun, and a shot at going sub 5 at the 70.3 distance.  I decided to go at it solo (without a coach) for life reasons, and enlisted Friel, Hansen, and some fast triathletes and runners that are amazing people that freely lent me advice and a few well deserved smacks when I was being being foolish (which is probably more frequent than not). 

Oh, I laugh at myself. Suffice to say, the season produced results beyond my wildest dreams - my first ever overall female win at a triathlon (which was followed by a second win....and a third), new PR's at the sprint, half iron and iron distance, and a Boston qualifying marathon time.  Holy shit.  What a year.  And while I pivoted mid-year to stop chasing that sub 5 and start chasing Boston....it led to another pivot for 2023.

When I set out to do Ironman Iowa this year, the goal was to get some redemption for my horrible 2018 Ironman Lake Placid.  I have since grown by leaps and bounds as a triathlete, but that last Ironman finish was still hanging over my head.  I had signed up for IMMT in 2020 and 2021, but COVID killed that - so in a fit of bad decisions (Thanks Ken) Iowa was on the table for 2022.  And, despite the heat index being over 100 that day, I set a nice new PR of 12:18.  And....finished one spot away from Kona qualifying.

Woah.  It's funny, because when I re-tell that story, everyone gets a sad face - you were so close!  And I'm over here going guys - this was way beyond my wildest dreams.  I never thought I would be seven minutes away from joining the big dance in Hawaii!  Well, maybe in about 30 years, but I digress...

That was pretty cool.  And post Iowa, I put it away, because Ironman is time consuming, and I promised my family I would set it aside for at least a few more years.  Then, my amazing other half got ideas.  (I'm pretty darn lucky to be married to a guy that not only gets it, he encourages it).  He signed me up for Philly as a birthday gift, and I Boston Qualified.  And with that kind of momentum....we looked at 2023 together and got ideas.  Big ones.  And even with the crazy dance that Ironman is doing, which lands the women in Kona for 2023 solo...the idea stayed.  (Note that I think this is a stupid idea for many reasons and am supremely bummed to not be able to give it a shot with some of my friends that happen to be male, but since Ironman didn't consult me, I either play by their rules or I don't play at all).

After a shockingly little amount of debate, the die was cast for 2023.  It's a go big or go home kind of year.  After four years of amazing leaps in the multi-sport world, I'm throwing my hat in the ring for the big game - trying to qualify for Kona.  It's a moonshot goal, but I'm throwing everything I have at it and I'm excited to once again, giving it everything I've got to see where I can go.  Once again, I'm flying solo....but not really, because my favorite swimmers, bikers and runners have all offered to help me out along the way (and I am immensely grateful for it!).  The training starts tomorrow.  And if you're gonna go big....where do you go?

The state where everything is bigger.  

Ironman Texas it is!  April 22, 2023 - it's time to dance!

(Yeah, I meant that literally.  You can take the girl out of country line dancing, but not the line dancing outta the girl.  Think my outfit is aero enough??)

YEEHAW baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment