Thursday, October 25, 2012

Just Gorges




What a perfect fall day.  I know I sound like a broken record lately, but this season has really been stupendous!  Today, I drove down to Owego for work, which is in the Southern Tier of our state.  Aside from the fact that a 110 mile drive took two and a half hours, it was a gorges trip.  Heh.  (Old NY joke-Ithaca has a gorge, so we New Yorkers call it "gorges" instead of "gorgeous" cause we're witty like that).  The ride out was annoying, because I got stuck a bunch of times behind trucks and out of staters who can't read our New York speed limit signs, but the ride back was phenomenal.  Part of the trip went through Ithaca's college town (Cornell and Ithaca college) and another part wound through parts of the Musselman bike course (for the record, I prefer it on a bike, but somehow I thought the day would be cooler than the 78 degree temps! so I didn't stow my bike in the back).  I did, however, stow my running gear in, and got a lovely run in post meeting.  I had a 5 mile tempo on deck, but I forgot my garmin, so I ran for 45 minutes and called it a day.  I think the hills nixed out the tempo, so we'll call it productive either way!
Even though the day was a bit gray at first, I snapped some pics in downtown Owego, including the cutest cafe we did a "business" lunch at:
The Susquehanna river.  You know how I always talk about how every time I see a body of water, I try to figure out if I could swim in a ti for it?  (#trigeek).  ..um....no.
The main bridge in town.  Irony:  Its 78 in October, we're eating lunch outside, and there are snowflake lights on the posts. 
The little cafe we ate in.  It was a mix of a cute gift shop (attic country kitsch) and a lunch spot with homemade soups, salads, and sandwiches.  Oh and desserts....holy heck, next time I am skipping lunch and going for the good stuff!!
 My lunch:  Turkey veggie soup and homemade cornbread.  Perfectly sweet/salty, buttery and moist.  yeah, i said moist.  And since I hate that word with a passion, you know I mean it :-P
 Downtown Owego, you might have a funny name, but you were worth it.  Especially when they paid me to drive to you, dine, and run through the leaves :-)  hey....rather than complain about the travel, I'll revel in the perks!  Hope your day was as super!

No comments:

Post a Comment