Sunday, October 21, 2012

A Super Sunday

Don't you just love this time of year?  I think Fall is hands down my favorite ( I know, I know...I'll say the same thing in December....).
You have cider.  Pumpkins.  Fall squashes (butternut, yum!).  Apples.  Hayrides.  Corn mazes.  Cross Country season.  Sunny days and chilly nights, perfect for fuzzy socks and pumpkin herb tea.
And it's the perfect running season.
And (bless you left foot!) I can run!!
 After a full day yesterday and a great nights sleep, the hubs and I leisurely awoke this morning to tackle our first project....


 Yep, that's 8 pounds of cranberries.  One of his clients at work has some sort of "cranberry connection" (sounds ominous, doesn't it?) so he sends the company oodles of berries each fall.  Only a few people have a clue what to do with them, so I get to play!!  First, I rinsed them and froze 6 small bags-cranberries freeze super well, so you don';t have to use them all at once!  Watch out for the plethora of cranberry recipes coming your way!
On the docket today:  Cranberry and mandarin orange relish (recipe coming) and cranberry oats.
Cranberry Oats (serves 1)
1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1 cup fresh (or frozen) cranberries
1/2 cup Almond milk
1 cup water (for oats)
1/2 cup water (for berries)
pinch salt
2 tbsp.  chopped almonds
1 tbsp sugar/agave

Super simple.  Fill a saucepan with 1/2 cup water and cranberries.  Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer for about 5 minutes, adding sugar.  Once the berries are soft and have "popped" add in the additional cup of water, salt and oats.  Cook on medium low for about 10 minutes, or until your preferred consistency (I like min a little runnier, so I add a bit more water.)  Stir in almond milk for the "creamy" factor. Dish out into your breakfast bowl and add the nuts for garnish.
 Perfect for a fall breakfast treat. And chock full of antioxidants-cranberries help your circulatory system and are also an anti-inflammatory.
 So with all that goodness in me and a beautiful, fall sunny day outside....it was clearly time to run!  On the training plan:  12 miles at a LR (9:10-9:30) pace.  Took along my favorite mid run fuel (with a fall twist): Jelly Belly Jelly beans in Caramel Apple and Toasted Marshmallow! (25 beans = 25g of carbs.  Why chug down nasty gels when it's not a race situation??)
 Since I didn't feel like lugging water with me, i did 3 four mile loops around our neighborhood in 35-37-37 and change time.
The Workout
12.06 miles
Time:  1:50:49
Pace:  9:11/mile
 I'm BACCCCCKKKK!!!  Running and I are now BFFs again.  I had decided before getting into this marathon training a few things:
1.  I would take it easy on myself and never force myself to do a run when feeling like crap.
2.  There is no such thing as a crap run.  There are awesome runs, good runs, and character building runs.
 Today...was an awesome run.  A bit windy, but the colors and temperature were spot. on.  My back hurts (forgot to do body glide on my hot spot-doh!), my legs hurt, and I broke in my new shoe with my trademark blister and a bit of blood.  A sacrificial offering, if you will :)
And I couldn't be happier.
Welcome, fall running!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment