Thursday, May 11, 2023

IMTX: Post Race/Lessons Learned

Alright, where were we?  In the vein of "when the hell will this freaking race report EVER end - rest assured.  This is it.  This is the true navel gaze post - we have already run through the day's swim, bike and run - and now its time for what happened next!

Aside from the fact that I was in total disbelief about my time, post race I just walked around like a
zombie (a really freaking happy one!).  I called my coach and one of my best friends and responded to all the awesome congrats messages (you guys ROCK - THANK YOU for all your love and tracking on race day!).  We grabbed my bike and crap, and headed to the post race tent for some food - which I totally could not eat.  No shocker.  I was totally spent and quite honestly, a mess - but a happy mess! There weas zero doubt I left it all out there on that run course, and that was the goal!

We headed back to the Air BNB for a shower and clean up, and then we passed out hit up the country bar.  What???  I didn't stutter.  There was this awesome looking bar in downtown Houston I was dying to go to, and I promised myself that if I could walk - I would go!  Confession - I am a huge fan of line dancing, and basically any kind of dancing.  What other time to go than post 11 hour race???? (We call this celebratory - and also - Rae is an idiot.  But you knew that).

Honestly, it was a blast.  I jumped in and tried some new dances, and then saw - they had a bull.  OMG.  I have never ridden one, and in the midst of bad decisions, I decided to give it a go!!  I lasted 64 seconds and honestly - once I got on, the realization that the only way off was to fall off was the worst part.  It was a great night and I regret zero of it.  At the end of the day, its all about fun, am I right??

The next morning I was up at stupid o clock (I can never sleep after these things) and started packing up and pulling things together.  The awards banquet was at 11 - and I was kind of unsure if I wanted to go.  It was such a weird feeling - I was so jazzed about my time, and any other year it would have netted me at least top 10.  But with an 18th place finish out of 99 women - I just wasn't sure.  Early odds predicted that there would be about 15 Kona slots (remember this was a championship race) - and this race was perfectly situated for people to accept their slots.  It was 6 months out from Hawaii (perfect timing), an early season race, and clearly everyone had the same mindset.  What the hell - I could take a few hours to have some lunch and cross my fingers!

The ceremony was pretty awesome - if a bit lengthy!  We got to see all the winners, the previous days video, and all the AG winners.  They did World slots for the men first - which took FOREVER - it will be interesting to see how this Nice Worlds goes, but from what I saw, basically, if you wanted in, you were in.

The women- were different.  They started with the oldest AGs and these women were FREAKING fast.  The slowest woman in the 55-59 AG that got a spot finished in...12:30.  Holy moly.  They also - weren't rolling at all.  There was one spot that rolled down in the AG in the 50s and that was it.  I was so nervous.  When we got to my AG there were 16 slots and my heart was totally in my throat.  First place took her slot.  Second place....was last years Kona AG winner and already had a slot.  OMG.  Third place (former pro)....had a slot from qualifying at Arizona 2022.  AND HOLY SHIT..... I WAS IN!!  I'll be honest, everything else was a freaking blur.  When my name was called, I squealed and accepted in a heartbeat!!  I later found out it rolled one more in my AG - and the last woman accepted finished in 11:16.  So I qualified with 5 minutes to spare.  You guys - never in my wildest dreams did I think this would happen.  And the time I needed... still baffles me. Honestly - if you told me I needed an 11:15 to qualify back in August, I never would have signed up.  Facts.  Sometimes what you DONT know really is key!  IT'S HAWAII TIME BABY!

The past few weeks have been a return to normal.  We drove the 23 hours home (that was super fun!) and since I got home, I have had the most wonderful friends and family celebrate with me.  Rob told the whole school and my neighbor Kelly told the whole town, so apparently anyone that wants in on October 14, I'm just renting the Island :-P Come party with us LOL!

Its surreal.  The past few weeks I have ditched formal training and am now just easing back into it - I have a few mid season races then its time for the big dance!

There are ways to improve, and I can pin point them easily.  I struggled a little bit on the bike because it was such an early season race - I didnt get a lot of outdoor rides in - and I dont ride in aero on the trainer.  I gave up some time because I had to shift in and out of aero the last half because my neck hurt a ton.  This will change as the season progresses - I froze my zwift account and only ride outdoors from May-November (sorry coach). 

The heat was also a factor - we had a few warm days in NY, but for all intents and purposes I went from 40 degrees to mid 80s.  I think I handled this pretty well, but post race it absolutely slayed me and I felt like crap for quite awhile, 

I also only hit open water swimming twice - for short amounts.  The swim didnt bother me, but my new resolution going forward is to...uh...learn how to swim.  After 15 years its about time.  I can motor through this segment but I leave a decent amount of time on the table due to shitty form.  Luckily, I have a friend at the Y who is willing to laugh at me and also help my technique (in that order, duh) and since he's a legit former D1 swimmer...and a fun dude... we listen to him.  I also have another friend who offered to give me lessons - I've sent him a video for feedback, and there was plenty (suffice to say it was NOT an ego boost lol).  Swimmer Dude also knows what he's doing - he coaches and is also former D1 so I have plenty of support (and apparently, plenty of "Dudes" in my life that tell me what to do - you guys are the best. Truly.). 

Overall though, I am really pleased with this race - I would be anyways - and the fact that its only April makes me even more excited for the rest of the season.

The whole Kona goal...was a ridiculous moonshot.  If you would have asked me a year ago, I would have laughed at you.  And then - I gave it my best shot.  My all. The past 4 months have not always been easy, but they have been laser focused on a goal, and when things went wrong, remembering the goal, having a back up plan, and having the belief that it could be done was key.

I couldn't have ever done it without my amazing support team, and I thank every single one of you.  You know who you are.  And if you don't....yep, you're on the list.  I'm blown away by the love and help I got this time around - and.....I wish I could just charter a jet for us to all go on vacation.  I'm working on that lotto dream, stay tuned. It would help if I played, wouldn't it?

I have no deep secret success tips for this one.  I was lucky enough to have so many things fall into place race day - which is never a given.  I trusted the plan my coach gave me, and when I had questions, he answered them.  He gave me guidance and support and a kick in the ass when I needed it.  On my end, I did the work.  The early mornings, late nights, snowing runs, and juggling work, family and life in between.  It was incredibly hard, and incredibly worth it.  I'll be glad to play for a bit and then focus back on long course with the goal of HAVING FUN in Hawaii - though don't I always do that?

Stay tuned for the road to Kona - its gonna be wild, crazy, and I hope - amusing :)

No comments:

Post a Comment