Sunday, February 3, 2013

"Soup"er Bowl

I'll come right out and say it.  There's not much for me the first Sunday of February.  It's cold.  I have to go to work tomorrow.  The groundhog either just told us that there are 6 weeks until spring or even longer...which is just great....but....there's still snow on the ground and I have to wear long pants.
Not a fan.
Well, regardless, today is the day where winter is okay.  You go for a nice run, burn off some energy, then do a Super Bowl Party, sit on your ass, watch the commercials, and eat food.  Oh wait, there's a game?  Well, the only way I care about that is if it's my time, and then that's marginal at best.  (Panthers).  I'm just gad the Patriots didn't make it.  And in case anyone cares (which I don't even), I'm nominally routing for the 49ers.  Cause my gramma had a crush on Joe Montana.  And that's good enough for me.
But who cares about the game when there's yummy food?  And what's a Super Bowl Party without Chili?  That's where I stepped in!

Butternut Squash Chili (serves 4)

1 medium butternut squash
1 medium onion
1 tbsp. garlic
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 cup frozen corn
1 15 oz can kidney beans
1 15 oz can black beans
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. chili powder
4 cups vegetable stock

This recipe can be crock potted, but unless you have it prepped and ready to go by 9am, it'll never be done by kick off....and well....I'm not a mom yet.  So i slept in.  No worries.

Step 1:  Stick the butternut squash in the microwave for 2 minutes (whole) to soften.  Peel skin with a potato peeler (should come off easier when soft!)  Slice in half, de seed, and cut into small cubes.  You can either puree it in the food processor (hides the healthy veggie), or leave as is.  I left it because I have some brave men that will try it! 

The Chili:  Finely dice the onion, and add with garlic to a large stockpot.  Add in olive oil and cook for 5 minutes, until soft.  Add in beans, broth, and butternut squash.  Heat to boil, then simmer on low.  Add in cumin, pepper, cinnamon and chili powder.  Simmer for at least 60 minutes, or until squash is soft.  Add in corn, cover, and let cook for 30 additional minutes.

Delish.  And heart healthy....so.....you can go dig into those nachos afterwards :-P
Score.

No comments:

Post a Comment