Thursday, August 16, 2012

Summer Bounty

Another day of sunshiny, non humid weather....and I'm doin the happy dance.  Now if only this good weather keeps up for the weekend....that would be money :-)
Not a whole lot to report here in my little world. My feets are a bit sore from the 7 miler yesterday (running in orthodics isn't as fun as it sounds.  Actually, it doesn't sound fun at all.  Scratch that).  No matter.  I did a nice course recon of the Rochester tri today....there's a decent hill coming out of transition and at the start of each  loop, but it looks like a mover and shaker if I don't wuss out.
A Goal = don't wuss out on the the fast part, Rae!
Enough about training, though.  I think I've bored you to death with that over the last few days.  Time for me to get a life.  Or at least talk about something relateable for one day....yes?
Food. 
That's always relateable.
S, in the vein of summer, I whipped up a nice, light dish capitalizing on the wonderful summer veggies that are so bountiful lately.  Perfecto for a lighter dinner or a side dish at your next barbecue.  Pour an Arnold Palmer, grab a patio chair, and check it out!

Summer Bounty Pasta Salad

1 cup whole wheat elbow pasta, uncooked
2 ears corn
1 green pepper
1 large cucumber
2 tbsp. minced garlic
2 tbsp minced chives
2 tbsp minced cilantro
1 can crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 tbsp. olive oil

Cook the pasta el dente.  De cob the corn (raw) and add into pasta water in the last 2 minutes of boiling.  Drain, add to large mixing bowl.  Chop the pepper and cucumber, add to bowl with herbs.  Add in tomatoes (drained).  Lastly, add in vinegar and olive oil, toss to coat.  Refrigerate for at least 2 hours for maximum flavor saturation, best left overnight. Serves 4
(side dish) or 2 (entree)


Enjoy on the back deck with a Pale Ale :-)

Ahh, I love summer!!

No comments:

Post a Comment